Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Subwoofer help

Old 12-02-2012, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer help

I have a 2012 jk 2dr. anybody have a 15" sub in trunk? I'm sure I can craft a custom box to fit a kicker l7. Just seeing if anybody else did so already and there design. Thanks
Old 12-02-2012, 01:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Fyrefighter
I have a 2012 jk 2dr. anybody have a 15" sub in trunk? I'm sure I can craft a custom box to fit a kicker l7. Just seeing if anybody else did so already and there design. Thanks
I've had a fair amount of experience with L7's in the past, including a 15. I'd be willing to bet its too deep to fit in there with the backseat in, don't know if you were planning on keep in that or not. Also, I think its overkill. Not as in too loud, but it moves too much air to produce a full tone in a 2 door. You're better off with a 10 or 12, don't underestimate these, I hit 150.7 dB's with 2 12's. They are not much, if at all, quieter than the 15, but they have a much more respectable operating range.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:29 PM
JK Super Freak

OH also, if you're planning a sealed box, which I'm sure you are given the dimensions you are working with, make sure you use a lot more than 3/4" MDF. An L7, properly powered, will rip that material apart.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:41 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a 12" Pioneer sub in cube box...Didn't want to lose
to much room...500 watt MTX amp powering sub...Plenty
of power...
Old 12-02-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4W-Jive

I've had a fair amount of experience with L7's in the past, including a 15. I'd be willing to bet its too deep to fit in there with the backseat in, don't know if you were planning on keep in that or not. Also, I think its overkill. Not as in too loud, but it moves too much air to produce a full tone in a 2 door. You're better off with a 10 or 12, don't underestimate these, I hit 150.7 dB's with 2 12's. They are not much, if at all, quieter than the 15, but they have a much more respectable operating range.
I was planning on taking the entire trunk of it. The shop I was talking to said they could fit a 15 in there. Or I was planning on 2 12"
Old 12-02-2012, 08:43 PM
JK Super Freak

There are much more worthy subs, and better quality im sure, than what you get for the kicker.. if you need any ideas let me know. Id be glad to help.

Im not knocking them by any means, I just don't think they are up to par with similar subs of the same power handling and price.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Fyrefighter

I was planning on taking the entire trunk of it. The shop I was talking to said they could fit a 15 in there. Or I was planning on 2 12"
I have a lot to contribute but I'm on my phone, I'll add in the morning.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have 2 12 kicker l7 in the back of my jeep but its a 4 door. I'm using 3/4 in a ported box and I'm rather dissapointed. I had one sub blow and even before then it wasn't insanely loud. My old 2 12 inch hifonics Brutus hit harder In my jeep commander in a non ported box. I'm running them at 4 ohms each off of an alpine pdx1200.1
Old 12-03-2012, 06:16 AM
JK Super Freak

To be honest check out sundown audios sa line. They are 600w rated and soo many people run way more power than that.. they sound amazing and take a beating. Or if you want something beefy... Audioque hdc3 10s handle crazy amounts of power and are relatively cheap. I've got two for sale right now, best subs I've owned to date!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 AM
JK Super Freak

ok, not to undermine everyone who has contributed here, but the L7 is one of my favorite speakers and I've used many. They are incredible, but they are needy and require several things. They have tight tolerances for box volume and certainly power requirements. In the beginning of the life of these subs you could push them to over excursion and the leads would pull from the cone, but I don't think thats a problem anymore. There are many variables when building a box, volume, ported, sealed, port dimensions, in phase or out of phase, separated duals... You can't just slap a system together with these.
If I were to put a stereo in my JK, hands down I would love to put 2 10" Ti L7's.
What kind of music do you listen to? Thats going to make the deciding factor here. If you've never heard the 10's in the L7's they are much louder than you'd expect, much. They are also punchy as a mother, so if you like rock thats a huge plus. With the 15 you're going to hate anything with emphasis on the kick drum and you're going to gravitate toward deep lows, like sub 50 hz. the 12's are ideal for trunks, but IMO you don't have enough space in the back to run 12's appropriately. Sure the shop will tell you they can squeeze them back there with custom blah blah.... fact is, speakers need air to operate, especially bass. Have you ever noticed that the further away from the sub you are, the more full the tone sounds?? If you put a 15 back there you're going to hear a lot of air and cone noise. 12's wont have enough air to breathe either. 10's in the L7 will be sick.
BUY AN APPROPRIATE AMP, sorry if you already have one or had that figured out already, I know you didn't ask about that, but do not underpower these subs.
have an appropriate box, if at all possible use the one from Kicker, its built to specs and worth the money. Do not let them use 3/4 MDF if its sealed and divided. If its sealed but not divided you can get away with that but its a sacrifice and you have to run 180 degrees out of phase.
You're going to run your alternator out early, so plan on that.
and you're going to be a target. don't thump in your neighborhood. You're going to have some serious beats in the easiest vehicle to break into ever.
Good luck, should be sick. Let me know if I can give any more insight.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer help