Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Subwoofer/amplifier questions about sub and amp choices

Old 02-01-2011, 09:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer/amplifier questions about sub and amp choices

Hey guys I recently upgraded my HU with a Sony CDX GT250, and I replaced all 4 speakers with Kicker brand speakers (I didn't have Infinity system before). It sounds great, but the only thing that will make me 100% satisfied is some bass. I listen to rock/metal and I love hearing double bass thumping.

Anyways, Best Buys website is having some Kicker subwoofers Buy 1 Get 1 free. So I could walk away with 2 12" Kicker subs (Model C124) for 100 bucks, or 2 10" Kicker subs (model 10C104) for 89 bucks. I would be satisfied with 1 sub, but if I could get another for free, what the hell... (Plus both these models have great reviews from customers).

Now, is it worth it to get the second sub? Even though the 2nd sub is free, will it end up costing a lot more requiring a better amp, etc?

What kind of amp would I need to power 1 of these subs? 2 of these subs? Amps vary so much in price, so what do I need to look for?

Anyone with a similar setup, please help me out. I am pretty new to the whole amp/sub stuff.

I have already learned so much on this forum, so thanks in advance...

Last edited by zippyd8; 02-01-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the second sub... It's free, sell it if your not going to use it. You can bridge your amp to double it... You would be surprised how little you need to power some subs... I had 2 10s with a 300 watt amp and they were crazy! I have a 1500 watt amp now. I got it free because my 1000 watt amp had a waranty issue, I thought, great a bigger amp! It's to big my kicker 10s sound like there going to jump out of the box with the gain turned all the way down. You would be plenty fine with a 600 watt amp.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a JL audio mono block amp (model a1400) I think 500 watts at 2ohms and 2 JBL GTO 10 in and they thump, it is about what amp you put the subs on,don't go cheap, cheap amps are going to give you problems. Just my .02 cents. Get the free sub!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys...based on your answers it sounds like a 500 to 600 watt amp should suffice. And I will get the 2nd sub and either bridge the amp or sell it for extra cash.

I am thinking the 10" subs will be plenty. Especially if I end up with 2
Old 02-02-2011, 09:03 AM
JK Freak

I have 2 10'' kicker l5's with a 500 mono jl amp, and it is awesome. Kicker and JL are a sweet combo!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah JL and Kicker sound awesome and I would go with about a 500 watt amp
Old 02-02-2011, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd go with the 10". there is not alot of room as u can already see. i have one 8" and it rocks with a mono amp. u can mount ur amp under the passenger seat. other thing to consider is if u have a soft top...big box in the back, more likely to be stolen. ur call. + if u get the free speaker, hook someone up and sell it 2 them for 1/2 off. good luck. post some pics when ur done
Old 02-02-2011, 10:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, so it turns out I ended up getting a great deal on a 12" JL audio sub (model T12S4P) in an Atrend vented enclosure + an Alpine 500w amp (Model MRP-M500) off craigslist. I know I was originally looking at kicker subs, but I did my research before I went with this craigslist deal. I already know JL Audio is a reputable brand for subs, and the Alpine amp has great reviews online (Alpine is another popular brand too). And I was officially sold when I heard this setup in this guy's car. It sounded great. The kind of bass that really adds to the song without overpowering it, but you can still crank the bass up and shake the whole car if you really want to. So it is basically everything I need and more.

The same Alpine amp is $200 new by itself. I got this whole package for $200 total...

The single 12" sub doesn't take up a whole lot of room and the amp is super compact.

So can I just get a wiring kit and call it a day?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I would go with a 4 gauge kit if your amp will accept it and get a good set of rca patch cables (jl,rockford,or memphis) I have all jl wires, well worth the money
Old 02-03-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ludski
also, what is your spending price range? i will help you pick out some subs and an amp and power wiring.

I ended up finding a good deal on a JL 12" sub in an enclosure and an Alpine 500w amp, so I went for it. I have heard good things about JL audio and Alpine...

Total=200 bucks

Quick Reply: Subwoofer/amplifier questions about sub and amp choices