Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Sub question

Old 03-17-2008, 09:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub question

I am currently looking at a new head unit and JL Audio W3 8 inch single sub to add to spruce up my sounds...... I dont listen to rap...and I am not a banger or whatever you call it when you make other vehicles rear view mirror shake........

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to make my old rock sound better?

I do feel the factory bass is lacking alot ............ I had a JL W1 a couple yrs back and liked it alot so I figured the W3 would sound good to, but maybe overkill?

What all do I need to replace to make everything work, IE the dash or rollbar speakers?
Old 03-18-2008, 05:23 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your best bet is to get a new head unit, with harness and dash kit, and then you can do a number of things on speakers and amps. My personal preference is to get a 4 channel amp and a mono channel amp. Some would say go for a 5 channel amp. I would go ahead and replace the speakers in the rollbar and dash, or else you'll have a pretty unmatched system. The JL will sound great I bet. I think you're headed in the right direction.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

You might look at bass tubes or something like the Kenwood KSC-SW1 which will fit underneath either front seat and is powered already.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would like to know if you need a new head unit to run a sub? Is there a way to tap into the existing head unit with an aftermarket sub? I'm pretty content with the sound of the factory speakers, I just want a little more thud.

I have a 10" sub and amp already, just wondering how to go about installing it? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Sub question