Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

sub addition speaker in rear?

Old 03-09-2010, 03:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question sub addition speaker in rear?

So I purchased a sub from ebay and trying to figure out how to put it in/connect it etc... I looked around and there are no wires in the back unless i am wrong. I do not have the infinity system. I have the basic sound system with just Aux plug and 1 cd player/radio system. Please help or guide me in the right direction bc i want to hear some more boom boom. lol so confused... thought this would be easier than it looked... Thanks
Old 03-09-2010, 08:08 PM
JK Newbie

I did the same thing

What your going to need:
-box for sub
-amp
-amp kit(power wire, ground wire, speaker wire, rca cords, remote wire, etc. About $30 at wal-mart depending on what gauge/ amp rating you get)
-line output converter (converts the signal going out of your stock cd player to rca which plugs into the amp. about $25 at walmart)
-OR you could buy a new head unit instead of line output converter that would power the sub better.

I was going to install it my self but decided not to mess anything up and got it installed at a local car audio shop for about $80.

hope this helps
Old 03-10-2010, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

The simplest way to add just a sub would be to splice into one of the speakers wires going to the sound bar. Run the spliced wires to either a Line Output Converter (converts the speaker wire to an rca output) or buy an amp with speaker level inputs (Alpine MRP-500 for example, small, lots of power and about $150 new) and plug your speaker wires directly into the amp. The amp will take that signal cross it over to lower freq's and send it to your sub. As for the amp: you'll need to run power from your battery, a ground to your chassis, and a remote turn on line (you can get it from the cig lighter on the left side of your dash, it turns on and off at the same time the radio does so its a good source). Some amps have a "signal sensing turn on" which means you dont need a seperate remote turn on wire, it turns on when it senses an input signal. Finding an amp with speaker level inputs and remote sensing turn on will make things very easy for you. Hope this helps
Old 03-21-2010, 05:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by paul1k2k
The simplest way to add just a sub would be to splice into one of the speakers wires going to the sound bar. Run the spliced wires to either a Line Output Converter (converts the speaker wire to an rca output) or buy an amp with speaker level inputs (Alpine MRP-500 for example, small, lots of power and about $150 new) and plug your speaker wires directly into the amp. The amp will take that signal cross it over to lower freq's and send it to your sub. As for the amp: you'll need to run power from your battery, a ground to your chassis, and a remote turn on line (you can get it from the cig lighter on the left side of your dash, it turns on and off at the same time the radio does so its a good source). Some amps have a "signal sensing turn on" which means you dont need a seperate remote turn on wire, it turns on when it senses an input signal. Finding an amp with speaker level inputs and remote sensing turn on will make things very easy for you. Hope this helps
this should be fun... so just connecting it to the sound bar speakers will work... and the amp i can wire after the sub is connected to give it more power... shall be interesting! i will try it out in a few weeks when the weather gets better...
Old 03-21-2010, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

I think you're confused. You can't just tap into the wires from the sound bar and power the sub from that. Well, you COULD, but there will be about ZERO output. What the previous person was saying, is you tap into those wires for the input into the line output converter. This converts the signal to RCA cables that an amp can use, which is what powers the sub.
You absolutely cannot power a sub with the headunit and it's a waste of time and effort to try. You'll be getting no noticeable output from the sub. You *need* an amp.
Judging by your knowledge of the subject, you're either going to need to do a lot of research or pay someone else to do it. I don't mean any of that in an offputting way, it's just how it is! If you have any specific questions, ask away; been doing car audio for a couple decades now in competition and for fun and love to help people out who are just getting into it

Quick Reply: sub addition speaker in rear?