Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Stupid Question:

Old 11-11-2011, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stupid Question:

I have a 2008 Wrangler w/factory installed full-steel doors, power windows/locks, alarm system, & remote start. I am wanting to put a soft door kit from Bestop and the TrektopNX for spring/summer driving. If I remove the steel doors, do I need to do anything fancy with the electrical system? I know that there is a quick-connect between the door and the inside of the vehicle. Do I simply unhook the quick-connect or do I need to do anything else? For instance, do I need to do something to disable the alarm system? I know the dome light comes on when I open the door, but I figure that's simply a matter of adjusting the setting on the switch. I also know that if so much as the tail gate is even slightly ajar, the remote start doesn't work. I'm not worried about that, though, as I primarily use that feature in the winter (when I would be running steel doors/hard top). Are there any other considerations I need to factor in here? I appreciate any advice here.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

People who take their doors off don't have to do anything because of the removal.
Installing aftermarket soft doors won't change that.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ronjenx
People who take their doors off don't have to do anything because of the removal.
Installing aftermarket soft doors won't change that.
Thanks. I was hoping it was that simple, but with the new fancy stuff on JK's, I didn't know. I'm fairly new to Jeeps to begin with.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by daSpurge
Thanks. I was hoping it was that simple, but with the new fancy stuff on JK's, I didn't know. I'm fairly new to Jeeps to begin with.
Yes, there is a lot of fancy computer stuff on the JKs.
Who would have thought things like CANbus, LAN, multiplex, etc., would apply to Jeeps?
Old 11-11-2011, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

When you remove the factory doors and unplug the connectors the jeep thinks the doors are closed. The dome light stays off unless you open the tail gate.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like they said, nothing needs to be done. The jeep computer knows when a door is unplugged and takes care of itself. If I remember right, the remote start still works without doors. The dome light will come on when you open the tailgate as usual. The only thing is when you park, turn off the motor, and take your key out, the radio will stay on for that 10 second delay then turn off.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

Wow! Thanks so much guys. All of this info really helps. I'm not much of an off-roader, so I don't plan to put any lifts or anything. But cosmetic accessories such as tops and doors are definitely up my alley. To the extent that such accesories affect the electrical system is where I get confused.

Now, a totally separate question and this regards the factory-installed GPS system. If I were to move to Europe, is it possible to get updates for the GPS w/European maps? Actually, this little mod will become a priority for me, as I'm likely to be moving to Europe in the near future.

Quick Reply: Stupid Question: