Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Strange rear turn signal problem

Old 01-07-2012, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange rear turn signal problem

My 2008 JK has developed a strange passenger side rear turn signal problem. When I engage the turn signal the light on the dash flashes fast indicating the bulb is out and when I check the bulb does not work. If I remove the bulb and put it back in everything works perfectly for a while and then randomly stops working like 5 weeks later. I use dielectric grease and there is no corrosion. Even if I remove the brake light bulb and put it back in the signal will start working again. I've even replaced the bulbs in the turn signal and it did not make any difference.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-07-2012, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wifes 08 JKU does the same thing on the driver side. I figure if I twist it and it works then ill just twist it when it needs. If it causes any more issues then ill fix it then.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone else having this problem or have suggestions on how to troubleshoot? I thought it might be my trailer wiring harness so I disconnect it and the problem still pops up. Works fine for a couple weeks then I get the fast blinker and the passenger rear turn signal does not work- remove bulb and put back in and it works fine, in fact if I remove the other bulb and put back in it fixes the problem too.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:31 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 169 Likes on 144 Posts

Where do you apply the dielectric grease? It's an insulator, so don't use it on the contacts in the socket or wire connectors.

The behavior you describe usually indicates a loose or corroded ground connection, or a broken wire inside the insulation. Taking the bulb out and reinstalling it may be disturbing the connection enough for it to make contact for a while.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice - I use dielectric grease on all my electronic connections for boat and vehicles (including plow) and have never had a problem with the grease interfering with the contact. But I will remove the grease to see if its causing the problems...

I can't imagine it's a bad ground - everything looks clean on every ground I've check. But now that we are on the subject do you have any idea where the ground might be located for the turn signals? Worth it for me to take a look while I'm troubleshooting things.

Thanks for the help.
Joe
Old 01-15-2012, 08:01 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 169 Likes on 144 Posts

Lots of people do use dielectric grease on the contacts, and get away with it. Keep in mind, it's an insulator, and may actually prevent good contact. It's designed to be used on the connector body and seals, to keep out moisture.

Your problem may not be a bad ground, but it does indicate a bad contact of some sort in the local area.
Have you tried wiggling things in the area while the light is on?

I have actually seen bulbs that were burned out, but when disturbed the filiment would make contact and come back on for a while.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks again for the help - I know using too much dielectric can be a big problem...the goal is to get an ultra think coating on it so that when contact is made it wears off the grease at point of contact but keeps a thin layer in the surrounding area to keep out moisture. I removed all connections and bulbs and removed any excess grease. We'll see how long it works this time around.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow so this happened to my 08 jku last week and I haven bought a bulb yet. Maybe I'll look at that first. Any pictures available?
Old 01-15-2012, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you have installed new bulbs and this continues to be a problem you may have a wiring problem. I would suggest taking the turn signal assembly out and checking the factory wire termination. Threre may be a loose wire causing the indication of a lamp burned out.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

the metal that touches that connects, is probably not touching. mine did the same thing because where the bulb plugs in it was messed up, had a buddy look at it and he pulled the little metal peice, on the bulb, out a little with little needle nose pliers. make the metals touch and works great!

Quick Reply: Strange rear turn signal problem