Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Stranded versus Solid Cable

Old 04-23-2013, 06:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stranded versus Solid Cable

Is there a difference between stranded cable and solid cable of the same gauge? I used solid cable to run a cable from the battery to the back of the jeep to install the ARB Twin compressor. I keep blowing the 40 amp fuse. I used solid because its easier to plumb. I had read on a few electrical sights that it didn't matter. Since then I've learned that voltage likes to travel on the surface of cable thus making stranded better for some applications.

IS the cable choice I made a possible cause for blowing the fuse?
Old 04-23-2013, 07:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got this from an add for this compressor and might be the reason the 40 amp fuse keeps blowing.

ARB Twin On-Board Air Compressors - CKMTA12
•Boasts a highly efficient design that uses a mere 56 amps at maximum air flow

Seems like you need a bigger fuse.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:15 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

What does your compressor draw for amps? (56, as mentioned above?)
Also, what gauge solid wire did you use?

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-23-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:26 PM
JK Freak

According to the spec sheet it says No Load 28 AMps, Load 50 amps. The CKMTA21 comes with 2 40 Amp fuses so Id be surprised if they sent weaker fuses than what is needed. I used the same gauge cable that came with the wiring loom. I used the same gauge to extend the wires that go to the battery. I want to say I used either 10 or 12 gauge solid.

I was told they had a problem with bad relay's being sent out and they sent me a new rely (Which I installed) and other internals (which I have not installed). For quite some time the fuse stopped blowing but its started happening again.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by powrsurg
According to the spec sheet it says No Load 28 AMps, Load 50 amps. The CKMTA21 comes with 2 40 Amp fuses so Id be surprised if they sent weaker fuses than what is needed. I used the same gauge cable that came with the wiring loom. I used the same gauge to extend the wires that go to the battery. I want to say I used either 10 or 12 gauge solid.

I was told they had a problem with bad relay's being sent out and they sent me a new rely (Which I installed) and other internals (which I have not installed). For quite some time the fuse stopped blowing but its started happening again.
How long is the original wire loom that supplies the main power?
How long is it now, after you extended it?

You say you keep blowing the 40 amp fuse. Isn't there supposed to be 2 fuses, and two power leads to the compressor connector?

If it's wired according to the instructions, with the only exception being the longer wire run, you probably need to run larger gauge wires. The 10 or 12 gauge may not be large enough to carry the load over the greater distance.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

According to the spec sheet it says No Load 28 AMps, Load 50 amps. The CKMTA21 comes with 2 40 Amp fuses so Id be surprised if they sent weaker fuses than what is needed.
Typical electrical installations take into account for full load capabilities or "Full Load Current" ( FLC ) of a piece of equipment. Guess that is why they sent you 2 fuses? If the nameplate rating of the device say's 50 Amps, I would install a #6 TW ( fine strand ) type conductor using a 50 Amp KTK type fuse ( fast blow ). Connect to the existing "equipment conductors" as close to the new equipment as possible. Leaving only enough lead to make new connections in the future.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 04-24-2013 at 04:26 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
How long is the original wire loom that supplies the main power?
How long is it now, after you extended it?

You say you keep blowing the 40 amp fuse. Isn't there supposed to be 2 fuses, and two power leads to the compressor connector?

If it's wired according to the instructions, with the only exception being the longer wire run, you probably need to run larger gauge wires. The 10 or 12 gauge may not be large enough to carry the load over the greater distance.
I added quite a substantial amount to it. Originally it was only about 4 feet long. I added a good 6-8 feet to it. There are 2 fuses, one on each power lead. I think I keep blowing the same one although I have not kept track of that honestly. I placed the fuses about a foot away from the battery.

Im going to install the internals that ARB had sent me. Maybe that will do it. If not Ill rewire it.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I added quite a substantial amount to it. Originally it was only about 4 feet long. I added a good 6-8 feet to it. There are 2 fuses, one on each power lead.
Ah "Twin Compressors". So you need two #6 circuits.

PS:
#10 awg = 30 amps max
#12 awg = 20 amps max.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stranded cable will have a higher current rating than an equally sized solid cable. This is due to the heat dissapating capability created by the increased surface area of the individual strands. This may or may not have any bearing on your install depending on how close you are to exceeding the current handling capability of the wire you installed.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Ah "Twin Compressors". So you need two #6 circuits.

PS:
#10 awg = 30 amps max
#12 awg = 20 amps max.
Im following what you are saying but why would they give me much less than I need out of the box? Its like a toy manufacturer putting AA's in the box when you need D's. THis doesnt make sense.

PS - Did I tell you how much I hate electricity?

Quick Reply: Stranded versus Solid Cable