Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

store video on mygig

Old 01-17-2009 | 09:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default store video on mygig

can i store videos on the mygig? i would like to use my portable HDD in my jeep and would like to know if i were to rip all my dvd's onto my external can the mygig play them off the HDD? does that make sense?
Old 01-18-2009 | 06:41 AM
JK Super Freak

It does make sense but I am not totally sure. Try it and see. Let us know if it works
Old 01-18-2009 | 01:36 PM
JK Newbie

haha, i wasnt exactly asking if it sounded like a cool idea. i was asking for some technical advice on if this was even possible. i dont have a lockpick or allgig or nething like that yet. but if i were could i use an external HDD as an input source to store everything on so i dont even have to mess with the mygig HDD. any input is appreciated, thanks
Old 01-18-2009 | 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can it would be a hack that I haven't run across. The only video MyGig supports right now is through Sirius TV and a DVD.

Fairly comprehensive overview here:
http://www.chrysler.com/en/owners/mygig/
Old 01-18-2009 | 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

Cannot be done yet. The USB port is only for loading music, you cannot plug a memory stick with MP3's and play from it.
Old 01-18-2009 | 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bluer101
Cannot be done yet. The USB port is only for loading music, you cannot plug a memory stick with MP3's and play from it.
Well (for clarity purposes) users can load photos in JPEG format from the USB port. Though your point is correct - no native video support.
Old 01-18-2009 | 04:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Not only can you not store video... you can only store a few low quality pics. Pretty lame if you ask me.

Nice thing is that everything is updateable through software upgrades... too bad it is rare that the programmers rarely listen to out requests.
Old 01-18-2009 | 05:41 PM
JK Newbie

if i were to use a lockpick, all gig...(something of that nature) can i hook my external HDD up to the lockpick as an input? essentially just using the mygig as a monitor

the problem i see there is no software to select the file off the external HDD. but while were on this issue. can i use my ipod touch as a source for video?
Old 01-19-2009 | 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dahammer
if i were to use a lockpick, all gig...(something of that nature) can i hook my external HDD up to the lockpick as an input? essentially just using the mygig as a monitor

the problem i see there is no software to select the file off the external HDD. but while were on this issue. can i use my ipod touch as a source for video?
Yes - Lockpick allows this functionality. Don't remember the exact Coastal Tech product(s) you will need to purchase but I remember them having an Ultimate iPod kit. Not sure if there are other things that the kit doesn't come with to work out of the box.
Old 01-19-2009 | 10:36 AM
JK Newbie

Get the auto pic combo with
The rca preouts and inputs.
Then get the iomega 500GB HD
Screen play. About 140 through
Costco. It has a player built in for movies, music or pics. The only other thing you need is a 300watt inverter and you are set

Quick Reply: store video on mygig