Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Stock wiring for new Fog lights

Old 04-06-2012, 07:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock wiring for new Fog lights

This question may have already been asked in the past. I bought the Apollo 100w Fog Lights and Driving lights (part number 150 and 151) from the Jeep Fest put on by 4 Wheel Auto Parts a few weeks ago. I replaced my bumper with the Smittybuilt XRC and I want to mount the fog lights to the bumper but keep the current wiring that's already there. I noticed that the stock wiring has 2 wires into a harness. My question is that can I cut off the old harness, strip the wires crimp them to another set of wiring then crimp those to the fog lights to keep the clean look. I have seen several posts mentioning that the 100w lights draw to much amp's causing the wiring to deteriorate or just not to be functional at all. Any help on this matter? Thanks.

James
Old 04-06-2012, 03:35 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by MrJCM1984
This question may have already been asked in the past. I bought the Apollo 100w Fog Lights and Driving lights (part number 150 and 151) from the Jeep Fest put on by 4 Wheel Auto Parts a few weeks ago. I replaced my bumper with the Smittybuilt XRC and I want to mount the fog lights to the bumper but keep the current wiring that's already there. I noticed that the stock wiring has 2 wires into a harness. My question is that can I cut off the old harness, strip the wires crimp them to another set of wiring then crimp those to the fog lights to keep the clean look. I have seen several posts mentioning that the 100w lights draw to much amp's causing the wiring to deteriorate or just not to be functional at all. Any help on this matter? Thanks.

James
you can try it but the canbus system is said to be very picky

i swapped out my fog lights with the rigid dually's as they are leds and draw less power than the factory fog lights so i've had zero problems with that setup...

you can always strip off the wire's end and twist on the new lights and see what happens

matthew
Old 04-07-2012, 01:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

James
Those lights draw almost double the amps of the stock fogs. The harness isn't rated for that. At the least you'll have warm wires. Worst case, they'll melt.
CANBUS concerns aside, that's not a good idea.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

Why not do the the right way? Make your own harnes that uses a relay tied into the factory harness. This way you power those lamps correctly and you still get to use the factory fog lamp switch. That's like $20 worth of material to produce.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

James
Use the OEM fog light circuit to trigger a new relay and harness for the new lights.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:12 PM
JK Newbie

I wound up using the wiring kit that came with the lights. I mounted them the other night then finished the task in the morning. Took a few hours and with the help of my gf I was able to finish the job. Used the switch that came with it. Drilled a 1/2" hole just above my left speaker on the driver side and just used the switch instead of the mount with it. Works great. I'll take pictures and video to help show people how it was done. Being a first timer to wiring electrical stuff, I found little help on sites. Now I just need to do my window lights next and I'm good to go. If anyone has questions just ask

Quick Reply: Stock wiring for new Fog lights