Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Stock Sub wiring help

Old 01-09-2014, 01:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
ever since new it would get super hot and cut out when the bass hit if the engine wasn't running... maybe it was a factory defect? it's being delivered to them today, so let's hope they just ship a new one under warranty... I think it was like $130 new? I was bored and checked w/a multimeter... sub shows a 1.3 ohm load.

1.3 ohms should be taxing it too much, 1 ohm is in spec. I've been running two of the PBR500x1 at one ohm for a year. They bench tested at 586 and 587 watts. No problems at all with the Jeep on or off. Have you had any battery related problems? You may have gotten a bad one. Hopefully it won't take long to get back.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've checked all the wiring and honestly the output coming from the factory sup wires are distorted as all hell. I got to 15 on the volume and sound was clipping bad.... witch can due damage to your amp and sub
Old 01-10-2014, 03:05 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kass145
I've checked all the wiring and honestly the output coming from the factory sup wires are distorted as all hell. I got to 15 on the volume and sound was clipping bad.... witch can due damage to your amp and sub
It is clipping before the amp or after? If before it's a prob with the factory amp, if it's after your amp then try turning your gains down or does you LoC have gains that can be adjusted?
Old 01-10-2014, 07:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Default sound

it worked fine for 6 months. quality of the sound / signal 'sounded' fine to me. battery should have been new in 2012.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:00 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
it worked fine for 6 months. quality of the sound / signal 'sounded' fine to me. battery should have been new in 2012.
No the adapter won't effect sound quality, I'm concerned with the CanBus interface. The CanBus controls every function within your jeep and is a major Pita when adding aftermarket accessories, stereos, lights, etc. You describe warning light coming on, windshield wipers turning on, all controlled by the CanBus. If the stereo has an adapter that doesn't communicate well with the CanBus, it can cause all kinds of
Problems, error lights and strange things turning on and off. The other culprit is often bad grounding points but you said you double checked all of those.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Default on/off

the amp turns on/off with the high level inputs - no wiring to the canbus required... when I turn on the vehicle, the amp lights up, and when I turn off the vehicle turns off.

turning the headunit on/off doesn't seem to turn the amp on/off. My guess is even 'off' there is still a slight signal going to the speakers.

I'll re-check my ground this weekend...

Quick Reply: Stock Sub wiring help