Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Stock Media center 130, RES upgrade

Old 09-27-2011, 03:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Stock Media center 130, RES upgrade

I just got a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with stock, non Infinity sound system (media center 130, sales code RES). I also test drove a few with the Infinity system and wasn’t impressed enough to buy into one. The lower end system’s midrange is reasonable, imaging is nonexistent, volume doesn’t quite do it for me and I’m just not happy with the overall sound quality. The radio itself isn’t horrible, and I don’t want to mess up the stock look or cut or modify anything that can’t be easily replaced. I also want to keep the steering wheel control and USB connect and hands free stuff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-27_18-03-05_314.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	216356

I’m a JBL fan of sorts. JBL seems to almost always have reasonably priced stuff that sounds great and last. I can easily be talked into other brands though and have a Mustang with JL 3-ways, 10W7 subwoofer a 500/1 and 400/4 amp and Audio Control DQL EQ. It sounds AWESOME! I also have a work truck with Kenwood HU, Focal 5x7 up front, and a 6.5 powered Bazooka stuffed behind the seat. It sounds good bass isn’t that clean but is good enough at low volume.

I’m using REW (room EQ wizard) setup with calibrated MIC for measurements. I don’t have a sub at all in the Jeep so can’t get a good cabin gain and/or delay readings.

Name:	stock jeep.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	216361

Name:	2011-09-27_18-00-56_72.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	216353

Name:	2011-09-27_18-02-44_364.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	216354

Purple= Stock Jeep 6.5 mid/woofer. Microphone position was 3 inches on center. The mids are well positioned for my nads and kneecap. Not sure I can help this.

Blue= Left tweeter only. Mic position was 3 inches on center. The tweeters are well positioned for my head but would like to be able to point them some.

Green= all 4 stock jeep wrangler speakers. Mic position driver’s seat pointed forward just above the steering wheel (normal listening position).

All 4 speakers drop 3db near 65HZ, and 3.4K at the driver’s seat. It basically sounds like a good quality telephone. Talk radio is great, music isn’t worth listening to.
The front speakers are of course 2 way and the crossover point is at 2.77K I’m unsure yet if it has passive or active x-over. Anybody know? Does the stock RES have a separate tweeter output so 6 channels and active? Or is it 4 channels with passive?

I plan on adding a DSP, new front 2-ways, and a 12 inch sub. As far as the DSP, I looked at the JL Audio Cleansweep, AudioControl DQL-8, Audison Bit One, Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty, and JBL MS-8. I’m leaning heavily on the JBL MS-8.

The MS-8 seems to be small enough to fit under the steering wheel and has some really groovy features that murder the rest. It’s built in amp is 18W x 8 channels @ 4 ohms, or 30W x 8 channels @ 2 ohms. My plan is to use the built in amp for front and rear, and add a sub and separate amp.

If I use the MS-8’s amp, I’m looking for efficient, 2 ohm, 2-way components, with a 6.5 mid, and ¾ or 1 inch tweeter. So these or a few component sets I found that fit:
Infinity REF6032SI
Image Dynamics CXs62 V2
JBL GTO608C
JBL P660C

The JBL P660C looks like a great fit. They are 90w RMS, and 94db 1w/m. The MS8 wouldn’t drive them all that hard but with 94db sensitivity I think they’d be loud enough.

Anybody have a better suggestion? I think I’ll NOT use the passive crossover and go active so driving each tweet and mid separate with 30w. I wouldn’t mind going separate DIY style with TangBand or Vifa, Seas etc but can’t seem to find quality 2 ohm mids that will physically fit.
Suggestions please!

For the low end, I already have a Massive Audio D1200 amp. It’s a class D, low distortion 600w RMS into 1ohm so I’m looking for dual voice coil 2 ohm subwoofers. I think a single 10 would do it but may go 12. I’m more interested in SQ than DB and will try to reduce space but don’t want to get into “slim” subs. I’m also planning on a custom fiberglass enclosure formed behind the rear seat and wheel tub on the driver’s side.
Some subs I have in mind:
JBL P1222
Massive Audio V 122
Rockford Fosgate P2D2-12
RE Audio SEX12D2

Comments please!
Old 09-27-2011, 03:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, your really going above and beyond! I would try and keep it more simple. It's a jeep not a concert hall. I used polk mm components 2 ohms and very sensitive, yet handle plenty of power. They sound very good. I used polk mm coaxials in the sound bar for rear fill. They all have 6 3/4 drivers. I have them amped with a power series fosgate. Also my head unit has an auto eq feature that works awesome, just hook up a mic and it does the rest. It really improved the staging and smoothed out the peaks and dips. I would stay away from the factory head unit because it heavily eq's the outputs if you do use it you'll need the clean sweep or similar to fix this issue otherwise your aftermarket gear won't sound much better.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Alpine has great like that called imprint I think, I've heard good things. It's really more difficult to improve your system with that factory head, I'd truly start there.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:41 PM
JK Newbie

Yea, I may be taking it too far for a Jeep but I dig my audio I already had the REW set up for other projects. I built a home subwoofer with 2 JBL 15's, a Pro DJ style Behringer EPX3000 amp, and a MiniDSP for adjustments. IT BEATS! and is dead nuts flat 12-100HZ.

Had an Alpine DSP a bout 5 years ago and wasn't impressed. I ended up replaceing it for an Audio control digital EQ. Alpine may have better stuf now.. I dunno. sort of stuck on the jbl-MS8

So anybodody have suggestions on components? I'm about to order something.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

I had infinity kappas in my mini cooper and I loved them! I have yet to put them in my Jeep (been busy with college applications), but I plan on installing them sometime this fall(maybe fall break?).

I drove them with a 300 watt alpine 4 channel amplifier. The great part is they are 2ohm speakers so they actually use the 300 watts that the amp puts out at 2ohms.

If you want any links just drop me a pm. I'll try to get back to you quickly.

Austin
Old 09-28-2011, 05:09 PM
JK Super Freak

If money wasnt a concern, I would look at rainbows, or morel. Both companies make outstanding components! I've heard alot of both of those and to this day I have not heard better. But be prepared to pay for this exclusivity!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Focal were awesome. Don't know what they are like now. Jl audio and mb quart were two others with great products too.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the sugestions!

Focal, Rainbow and Morel are all past my personal worth it range. Audio has a steep incline of diminishing returns and all three are WAY past the hump for me. Focal has or had a lower end line, I've tried them and think they are capitalizing on the name associated with the "good stuff".

looking up the MB Quart and Polk options though.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by stub
Thanks for the sugestions!

Focal, Rainbow and Morel are all past my personal worth it range. Audio has a steep incline of diminishing returns and all three are WAY past the hump for me. Focal has or had a lower end line, I've tried them and think they are capitalizing on the name associated with the "good stuff".

looking up the MB Quart and Polk options though.
Thats true! Of course with audio, your overall system is only as good as your weakest link. Thats why I try to afford the best I can for each item and take my time affording it and building it! Good luck!
Old 10-05-2011, 11:42 AM
JK Newbie

Default RES plug with canbus

OK, I order'd the JBL MS-8 and front speakers JBL P660C. I now need both radio plugs. The FAQ for this list has part numbers for Metra plugs:

Metra 70-6522 Female radio harness (factory radio plug, plugs into this)
Metra 71-6522 Male radio plug and harness (plugs into radio)

The thing is, Metra 70-6522 does NOT have canbus wires. I need something that is straight through with all wires so I can cut only the speaker out, send that to the MS-8 and use the internal amp. I plan on replacing all factory speaker wire and useing 6 channels to feed tweets, mids, and rear.

So I need a female plug that has the canbus wires. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Stock Media center 130, RES upgrade