Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Stock Driving Lights? Can I replace with fog lights?

Old 06-18-2010, 03:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Driving Lights? Can I replace with fog lights?

Hello,

I kind of feel this is a silly question but I just removed my plastic cover on my stock bumper and doing so I had to unplug the stock driving fog lights....I was wondering if I were to install a set of new fog lights on my bumper could I used the connections, wiring and plug connectors that are already there from the stock driving lights?

That would be cool so I would not have to do any wiring and just simply instal and plug new fog lights and bingo!

Thanks for your help!

Alex
Old 06-18-2010, 06:33 AM
JK Super Freak

You can do it, but it's not plug and play. They'll flicker if you just plug them in. They're a thread someplace on here on how to wire up the lights.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

If all you want to do is replace the OEM fog lights that were already installed on your stock bumper with new fog lights in a different position on a new bumper (or even the old bumper), then yes, you should be able to merely plug (or splice) the new lights into the wiring for the original fog lights... assuming the wattage of the bulbs is close to the same as the OEM fog lights. (if memory serves, it's in the area of 55w)

Now, if you're talking about adding another set of fog lights in addition to the ones already there, that's another story... for extra lights, be they fog or 'auxiliary driving lights', you should wire them separately, using a relay and dedicated switch. There are several write-ups and threads on this board.

And be aware that some states have laws that say auxiliary driving lights (of which an extra set of 'fog' lights might be classified) can only be activated when the standard headlamp high beams are on, and that any other 'fog' lights (like the OEM ones in your bumper) have to go off when the high beams come on.

Quick Reply: Stock Driving Lights? Can I replace with fog lights?