Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Stock Basic Speakers removal

Old 01-13-2007, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Basic Speakers removal

Hey! I've got the basic sound system in my JK and I want to replace my speakers. The rear speakers are easy to remove, but the front ones... I dont really know how to remove the dash unit to access the speakers! I did an eye survey but I didnt tried to remove any parts of the dash, I'm afraid of breaking the plastic of the dash!!! Does anyone know how to proceed?? Thanks Marcel
Old 01-14-2007, 11:13 AM
JK Newbie

Open the door pop off the side piece from the dash. Pull out the glovebox and remove 3 screws and unplug the wire and remove speaker assembly. On the drivers side I haven't been able to get that one out yet So I could use a tip in that area myself.:confused:
Old 01-17-2007, 01:26 AM
JK Newbie

Guess no one has removed the front speakers, must be using the fader because they suck.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:31 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no complaints with my speakers. I have the volume up around 20 and that is plenty loud enough for me. Maybe with the top down i would want it louder, but i kinda doubt it.

anywho, this is what the service manual says:

INSTRUMENT PANEL SPEAKER – DRIVER

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
2. Remove the instrument panel end cap.
3. Remove the steering column opening cover.
4. Remove the amplifier.

Refer to (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/AUDIO/AMPLIFIER - REMOVAL).
  • 1. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
  • 2. Remove the steering column opening cover.
  • 3. Remove the steering column opening cover bracket.
  • 4. Remove the mounting fastener.
  • 5. Disconnect the electrical connector and remove the amplifier.

5. Disconnect the electrical connector.
6. Remove the mounting fasteners in the left side of the instrument panel.
7. Remove the speaker mounting fasteners.
8. Remove the speaker (2) by carefully pulling the left side of the instrument panel outward until there is sufficient room to remove the speaker through the end cap area.

No clue why they say you must yank the amp to remove a speaker, but maybe the plug is hard to reach or something? Based on the lamo pictures, it looks like a simple job for a trimstick and a few fasteners to get in to it.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 01-17-2007 at 03:34 AM.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:03 PM
JK Newbie

On the Sahara model, the speakers are a little bit better than on the X model...They really sucks on X model!!! Thanks guys, I will try to reach the front speakers and removed them this week-end, so I will let you know if it's easy or not... I will also add picture of my project! -Marcel
Old 01-17-2007, 01:51 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks so much HappyCurmudgeon for the info I had mine about the far apart but was affraid of breaking some plastic. I will try it again with your help. Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
I have no complaints with my speakers. I have the volume up around 20 and that is plenty loud enough for me. Maybe with the top down i would want it louder, but i kinda doubt it.

anywho, this is what the service manual says:

INSTRUMENT PANEL SPEAKER – DRIVER

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
2. Remove the instrument panel end cap.
3. Remove the steering column opening cover.
4. Remove the amplifier.

Refer to (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/AUDIO/AMPLIFIER - REMOVAL).
  • 1. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
  • 2. Remove the steering column opening cover.
  • 3. Remove the steering column opening cover bracket.
  • 4. Remove the mounting fastener.
  • 5. Disconnect the electrical connector and remove the amplifier.

5. Disconnect the electrical connector.
6. Remove the mounting fasteners in the left side of the instrument panel.
7. Remove the speaker mounting fasteners.
8. Remove the speaker (2) by carefully pulling the left side of the instrument panel outward until there is sufficient room to remove the speaker through the end cap area.

No clue why they say you must yank the amp to remove a speaker, but maybe the plug is hard to reach or something? Based on the lamo pictures, it looks like a simple job for a trimstick and a few fasteners to get in to it.
I replaced my dash speakers this past weekend with some infinity reference 6012si. Crutchfield indicated that only the shallow version of these speakers would fit in the JK, and i can confirm that for the roll bar (tried the standard depth ones there first, then returned them before trying to replace the dash speakers), but i think the standard depth speakers may fit in the dash.

Anyway, my real point here was that i had to do a lot more work to get the speakers out than the manual would seem to indicate. i couldn't figure out a way to remove the speaker mounting screws without carefully pulling the dash out and using a stubby screwdriver (phillips) on the 3 screws. But to get even teh kind of clearance required to get the stubby screwdriver in, i need to remove the instrument cluster (there are more dash screws hiding underneath it), there are plenty of screws hidden behind the knee bolster and the steering column opening cover, i also removed the screw behind the tweeter, but i am not sure if that made a difference.

Also be warned that there is very little slack in the speaker wire, so it was difficult to cut the old connector off, and strip and crimp a new connector on, while at the same time, trying to carefully pull the dash far enough out so that you can get enough room to work behind it.

But the finished job sounds much better, except now that the bass is a little cleaner and a little louder, i have discovered some buzzing somewhere in the dash when the bass is at a particular frequency.

It took me at least 2 hours to get the two front speakers replaced, so be ready to spend a lot of time on this, they are not as easy as the rear speakers.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

its a bit of a mission remember front and back are both 6.5 speakers no more 4.25 fronts
Old 01-19-2007, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

I think the trick is to unplug the "speaker box" and remove that assembly. Then replace the speakers in that box on your workbench.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:25 AM
JK Newbie

Default Speaker Box

Originally Posted by spacenut
I think the trick is to unplug the "speaker box" and remove that assembly. Then replace the speakers in that box on your workbench.

If only i had known that last weekend!!! It would have spared me the bruised knuckles and cuts (and complaining from the wife that I had abandoned her all afternoon)

Although when i was working on the passenger side speaker i looked a little more carefully and noticed the screws for the speaker boxes and considered that might have been a better way. But i just assumed there were just as many hidden screws for the speaker box as there were for dash itself.

Quick Reply: Stock Basic Speakers removal