Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Stock Alpine Amp Question

Old 07-03-2013, 03:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Alpine Amp Question

Hey everyone!

Over the last couple weeks I have been messing around with the idea of a stereo in my 2013 Wrangler. I recently switched out the 430N for a nice pioneer Nav unit and replaced all the speakers with some Kickers off the Mopar website. Wow, what a world of difference it has made in sound quality. The headunit is still plugged into the factory amp to power all the speakers and sub. I am looking at buying a larger sub and a custom enclosure to replace the alpine one it came with. If I just unhook the factory sub will it hurt the factory amp? I have read that some factory amps will continue to try and power the sub and will eventually blow even when the woofer is unhooked. If anyone has any first hand experience let me know! This vehicle has been the biggest pain trying to get some decent sound out if it lol.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KurtieR
Hey everyone!

Over the last couple weeks I have been messing around with the idea of a stereo in my 2013 Wrangler. I recently switched out the 430N for a nice pioneer Nav unit and replaced all the speakers with some Kickers off the Mopar website. Wow, what a world of difference it has made in sound quality. The headunit is still plugged into the factory amp to power all the speakers and sub. I am looking at buying a larger sub and a custom enclosure to replace the alpine one it came with. If I just unhook the factory sub will it hurt the factory amp? I have read that some factory amps will continue to try and power the sub and will eventually blow even when the woofer is unhooked. If anyone has any first hand experience let me know! This vehicle has been the biggest pain trying to get some decent sound out if it lol.
Unhooking the sub will not harm the factory amp.

If you are looking to sell the sub let me know, I would also be willing to swap the non-sub rear panel.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oh, and from what it sounds like you replaced the factory Alpine speakers? I am also looking to by a set of those if you are interested in selling. Let me know! Thanks!
Old 07-03-2013, 06:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sub

I may have a factory sub for sale.

I have the factory Alpines, which look exactly like the mopar kickers from the back.

I replaced my factory sub w/a 8" kicker and 300x1 amp.

so, the factory sub is currently sitting in my basement.

I'm not sure what they are worth / normal pricing...
Old 07-03-2013, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
I may have a factory sub for sale.

I have the factory Alpines, which look exactly like the mopar kickers from the back.

I replaced my factory sub w/a 8" kicker and 300x1 amp.

so, the factory sub is currently sitting in my basement.

I'm not sure what they are worth / normal pricing...
PM'd for the Alpines
Old 07-03-2013, 09:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default nope

sorry for the confusion

I have the factory Infinity system in my 2012.

the speakers look very similar to the kicker ones. (Magnet size)

I removed the factory sub. it's also Infinity.

I have just the sub in my basement, but I'm not sure if it's for sale.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

So u just unplugged it from the subwoofer? The amp is still wired for it?
Old 07-05-2013, 09:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by KurtieR
Hey everyone!

I recently switched out the 430N for a nice pioneer Nav unit and replaced all the speakers with some Kickers off the Mopar website. Wow, what a world of difference it has made in sound quality.
Hi, which Pioneer head unit did you get? I just got a 2013 Sport with the S package I had the dealer install the Kicker stage 3 setup and it sounds like SHITE. I think it would be much better with a better head unit. Do you still have use of steering wheel controls with this Pioneer?
Old 07-05-2013, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm considering selling my factory head unit outta my 2012 JK. Its the Mygig RHB w/ nav, bluetooth, uconnect etc. (touchscreen) and will also be getting rid of the infinity sub and possibly front speakers and tweeters if anyone may be interested.

Quick Reply: Stock Alpine Amp Question