Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Stereo works but no sound??? Please help

Old 09-07-2010, 05:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alec
Sounds like someone had an aftermarket system in there and sold it with the stock system. So in the week you've had it, it's never worked?

You probably have to pull it and check the wiring, then go from there. If it's never worked for you, my guess is that the harness is plugged in, but something funny was done to the speaker wires.

Stupid question: are there speakers there? Can you see them through the grilles?

To pull the head unit to check the wiring is easy: pop the lower dash (below A/C) and the upper dash (top) You'll then see 2 bolts each top and bottom. With the 4 gone, then I believe you can pull the main dash panel away for access to the head unit bolts. This is from memory, so I apologize if I'm wrong. You don't need to disconnect the A/C or other cables or wires, just pull the whole panel away to get a bit of room to work.

Lesson learned: check EVERYTHING when buying a used vehicle!
Yes, the speakers are there and I did take apart my whole dash but when I pulled out the stereo I couldn't notice anything unplugged or out of the ordinary. When I was buying the vehicle I knew the stereo wasn't playing but I thought it was just going to be a simple plug in and jam but I guess I was wrong. Well thanks everyone for the help, it was much appreciated.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd venture to say the amps blown. I had a new 07 Ram with a similar radio and it blew the amp within the first 6 months. Everything looked right but no sound/ bluetooth/ nada.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:34 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

woah. You could have a number of things going on. If you have that knob then it had a sub and amp in at some point at the minimum. It prolly had an aftermarket head unit also as said above. First thing I would do is pop the panel under the steering column and see if you have an amp in there (or wires that should be plugged in to an amp) You can get a build sheet from the dealer to find out if it came with an infinity system. If not, then pull the head unit out and look behind the plug and see if any of the wires are cut or spliced. Do you have the factory sub? Are you sure it has speakers in it? Are the speakers plugged in? The factory amp could be dead, the head unit could have a dead amp as well. Did the dealer tell you it wasnt working? If not maybe they will fix it?
Old 09-07-2010, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had this happen a few months ago. I was on a long trip and it literally just stopped. Power to the unit. Everything seemed fine, but, no sound with CD, Radio, Sat Radio, or iPod input.

Easy fix. Disconnect the battery. This will cause the radio to reset. Mine was good to go after that. Good luck. Post your results.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:32 PM
JK Newbie

Here is what I found after looking around.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5866..jpg
Views:	1134
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	87456   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5865..jpg
Views:	1125
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	87457   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5869..jpg
Views:	1097
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	87458   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5867..jpg
Views:	1095
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	87459   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5873..jpg
Views:	1429
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	87460  

Old 09-07-2010, 08:40 PM
JK Freak

Maybe they used the stock HU (those look like speaker level line-in wires). Maybe there was just an add-on amp and sub? 'Cause I don't see any speaker out wires there beside those going through the bass dial?

But those speaker lines had to be spliced somewhere. I'm still betting something is hinky behind the radio that you haven't found yet.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:45 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Alec
Maybe they used the stock HU (those look like speaker level line-in wires). Maybe there was just an add-on amp and sub? 'Cause I don't see any speaker out wires there beside those going through the bass dial?

But those speaker lines had to be spliced somewhere. I'm still betting something is hinky behind the radio that you haven't found yet.

x2 on the hinky behind the radio. It is also possible that they had RCA going to the amp and yanked them for some reason. I see at least 4 channels worth of speaker wire, check to make sure that isnt going to your speakers.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:59 PM
JK Newbie

Well I'm going to take apart the middle dash again and get to the bottom of this once and for all .. Thanks a lot for all the input.. I will keep you posted on the final out come.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by janix87
Well I'm going to take apart the middle dash again and get to the bottom of this once and for all .. Thanks a lot for all the input.. I will keep you posted on the final out come.

Yep......you got your work cut out for you. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Stereo works but no sound??? Please help