Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Stereo Upgrade Suggestions

Old 01-31-2013, 12:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by suds1485

lol ok. well if you feel like getting crazy you can pm me but honestly its not hard and pretty straight foward. i will be doing a write up when i install everything. im sure it been done before but what the hell. Just dont get speakers that are meant to handle a lot of wattage because you may end under powering them and that where most speaker damage occurs.
I'll watching for that writeup and ill pm ya if I decide to do more than that!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dropped a single JL W7 in back - wrachet strapped down. Very loud and deep, almost impossible to blow. Reccomended
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0714.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	416680  
Old 01-31-2013, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
No disrespect intended. But if this were true. You would have to replace your speakers everytime you turned the volume down.
Actually this is very true.
The damage occurs from trying to crank speakers up without enough power.
Tweeters are damaged more from this than others.

That's why most of the extremly high end sound quality headunits don't even have a internal amp.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No disrespect intended. But if this were true. You would have to replace your speakers everytime you turned the volume down.
none taken i see what your saying but your incorrect volume is not a gain control on an amp. people get really good speakers and hook them up and never power them properly. causing damage to the voice coils and premature failure. you have to match your amp to the speaker. when turning it down you also lower the voltage on your preouts. when setting up a speaker system you tune your amp to the speaker basically you go to distortion/clipping and turn it back just a lil it.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:28 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I need someone that knows what their doing to look at my jeep and tell me this in person because I'm not understanding what u guys are say, I know what ur saying is good info and JK-FORD always has good electrical information. So I'm just gonna keep reading what u all said and try and understand this lol
Old 01-31-2013, 04:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Distortion kills speakers, when your trying to drive speakers at loud volumes and exceed the abilities of your amp to do so (under power) you cause the signal to clip and distort which kills the speaker.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok guys. I'm still a novice at this audio stuff. I completely understand how overpowering a driver can cause failure. And I also understand how clipping and distortion can damage a driver too. But I'm still not sure how "under powering" ( not clipping or distorting ) is any different than just simply turning down the volume. Ex: 100 W RMS drivers driven with a 50W RMS Amp ( correctly tuned with an O-scope ). The speakers will be severely underpowered. But how can they be damaged?
Old 01-31-2013, 05:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok guys. I'm still a novice at this audio stuff. I completely understand how overpowering a driver can cause failure. And I also understand how clipping and distortion can damage a driver too. But I'm still not sure how "under powering" ( not clipping or distorting ) is any different than just simply turning down the volume. Ex: 100 W RMS drivers driven with a 50W RMS Amp ( correctly tuned with an O-scope ). The speakers will be severely underpowered. But how can they be damaged?
Underpowering a speaker will not damage it unless you allow the head unit or amp the clip. So have a 200 watt amp that is properly set up will do no harm to a 300 watt subwoofer. The problem is, 99% of systems are not set up properly. Low powered head units tend to distort at full volume and people tend to push them too hard, thus causing damage to the speaker.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:31 PM
JK Freak

2 15s in the rear so u can out bass the guy w 20 in rims in the impala next to u who's whole car is shaking
Old 01-31-2013, 05:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattk11
Underpowering a speaker will not damage it unless you allow the head unit or amp the clip. So have a 200 watt amp that is properly set up will do no harm to a 300 watt subwoofer. The problem is, 99% of systems are not set up properly. Low powered head units tend to distort at full volume and people tend to push them too hard, thus causing damage to the speaker.
Completely understand this concept. I just didn't understand how under powering alone would damage a driver.

Quick Reply: Stereo Upgrade Suggestions