Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Stereo Upgrade Suggestions

Old 01-30-2013, 07:20 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Stereo Upgrade Suggestions

OK so I got a 2010 JKU Rubicon with the Touch Screen head unit overhead sound bar and rear Infinite sub. I want to KEEP my factory head unit, I just want to get a lil more sound outta the stereo. I've been told they have speaker upgrades that are plug and play for both my sound bar and dashboard speakers, is that correct? If so what are some good choices? Now I was also told today that by just simply replacing the factory sub with another better sub really won't do much of anything without upgrading the amps and such... So what I really wanna know is what can I do to just simply add ANOTHER sub to the existing stereo and KEEP the factory one working? I've seen someone post a pic of a box that fits under jku rear seat, and I know I can make a box to keep small and outta the way. Or do I have to delete my factory sub completely? Sorry I never got TOO into stereo stuff, I can hook it up if somebody gives me a lil direction.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and information u provide!

Maybe some pics of ur setups so I can get some ideas???
Old 01-30-2013, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can add another sub, but you will have to power it with an amp. if your going to go through the trouble of wiring up an amp why not just upgrade everything and get a good amp to power it all up. depending on what type amp you get you may need a line output converter. Im wating for mine to come in the brown santa truck along with my wire kit and new speakers.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:34 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by suds1485
you can add another sub, but you will have to power it with an amp. if your going to go through the trouble of wiring up an amp why not just upgrade everything and get a good amp to power it all up. depending on what type amp you get you may need a line output converter. Im wating for mine to come in the brown santa truck along with my wire kit and new speakers.
So can I just get one big amp and run both subs in series? Or would they have their own power? I'm really dumb when it comes to doing anymore to a stereo other that just REPLACING parts
Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

it depends how many subs do you want? you can get the sound your looking for if you just get a decent quality sub mounted in the stock location. as far as amps and wiring that's easy. just hook up the power from the battery to the amp, the ground to good grounding point close to the amp, and the remote turn on from a keyed 12v power source power such as the cig lighter. each speaker is a channel. with one sub it would be five channels. the tweeters are run with the front speaker. that's why i said upgrade everything at once and get a five channel amp. depending on the amp you can get an input that is designed for a factory head unit (im keeping my stock radio as well) or you can get a line output converter get the actual out put onf the stereo to the amp (what im doing).
Old 01-30-2013, 09:15 PM
JKR
JK Newbie

There is fairly cheap way to go. The dealership sells kicker upgrades for the JK. They are straight plug in replacements I went with those and so far so good.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKR
There is fairly cheap way to go. The dealership sells kicker upgrades for the JK. They are straight plug in replacements I went with those and so far so good.
i agree with you but depending on the speakers it may not be powerful enough. for me i ordered it with out the infinity system because i knew i wanted to change it. for me i want good quality sound and louder than stock. than i ended up buying a mygig and added uconnect. so after having the factory blue tooth and steering wheel controls (you can get an adapter to keep those functions but not the uconnect) i wanted to keep the uconnect.

im just waiting on my stuff to arrive ordered it last night actually. im keeping the mygig as far as speakers im getting alpine type r components for the front and type r 2ways for the roll bar. i want to keep the stock look. im using my amp (alpine pdxf4 124 rms watts times 4 channels total of 496 rms watts with a peak of 300 watts per channel) from my last build which does not have a factory high output connection so i needed to get a line output converter. i got the AudioControl LC6i this way i can convert the signal from the factory headunit into an rca preout to hook up to the amp. plus with the much greater amount power for the speakers i would reccomend running your own speaker wire instead of using the factory wires. i prefer kicker really good wire imo.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:04 AM
JK Newbie

Hey guys - I'm fairly new here. Just picked up a 2013 JKU Moab last week. I'm looking to make similar upgrades; although the stock 730 isn't horrible, I'd like to have it sound better, cleaner, etc. I think better speaker wires and speakers are what I'm looking to do, but I'd like to keep everything in the stock locations.

I'll be watching this thread closely.

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:31 AM
JK Jedi

it depends how many subs do you want? you can get the sound your looking for if you just get a decent quality sub mounted in the stock location. as far as amps and wiring that's easy. just hook up the power from the battery to the amp, the ground to good grounding point close to the amp, and the remote turn on from a keyed 12v power source power such as the cig lighter. each speaker is a channel. with one sub it would be five channels. the tweeters are run with the front speaker. that's why i said upgrade everything at once and get a five channel amp. depending on the amp you can get an input that is designed for a factory head unit (im keeping my stock radio as well) or you can get a line output converter get the actual out put onf the stereo to the amp (what im doing).
Think I'm just gonna do the speakers upgrades for now.... Maybe another time I'll switch amps cause u lost me with all that stuff u wrote up there lol.... That flew right over my head. 5 channels going to speakers, I'm lost, I thought channels were the stations on the radio (I know I sound dumb, but like I said I don't know anything really about stereos) thank you all tho
Old 01-31-2013, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jersey_Devil
Think I'm just gonna do the speakers upgrades for now.... Maybe another time I'll switch amps cause u lost me with all that stuff u wrote up there lol.... That flew right over my head. 5 channels going to speakers, I'm lost, I thought channels were the stations on the radio (I know I sound dumb, but like I said I don't know anything really about stereos) thank you all tho

lol ok. well if you feel like getting crazy you can pm me but honestly its not hard and pretty straight foward. i will be doing a write up when i install everything. im sure it been done before but what the hell. Just dont get speakers that are meant to handle a lot of wattage because you may end under powering them and that where most speaker damage occurs.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you may end under powering them and that where most speaker damage occurs.
No disrespect intended. But if this were true. You would have to replace your speakers everytime you turned the volume down.

Quick Reply: Stereo Upgrade Suggestions