Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Stereo Question

Old 12-25-2010, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Question

I am wanting to replace my factory stereo with a single DIN aftermarket stereo. I am wanting to keep my satellite radio as it is the main thing I listen to. I know there is a satellite antenna installed in the Jeep and a tuner. Is the tuner installed in the factory stereo? Am I going to have to buy an aftermarket tuner? What do I need to make this work?

I would really like to go with a cheap head unit if I could buy a wiring harness that was "plug and play" and my Satellite radio would work.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the tuner is installed in the factory stereo .. you could always get aftermarket Stereo with Sat Radio and Transfer your service over to the new unit
Old 12-25-2010, 02:37 PM
JK Newbie

Ok, but most aftermarket stereo's I am finding you have to buy an additional tuner to go with the HU. I just needed to know if I needed to buy that additional tuner or not.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:05 PM
JK Freak

i do believe you do .. when i removed my head unit it came out in 2 pieces the head unit and Sat antenna only no other parts ...

when you go stereo shopping try to get the shop to include what you need in the deal, use it as a barganing tool - package deal at a discount or no sale ....

Last edited by gadget799; 12-25-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

Just in case you are on the 1 year free Sirius trial, they will probably not transfer the free service to your new radio until you are actually paying for the service. This is what they told me when I enquired. Check with them first if this will be a problem.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:28 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah, I am on the free service for now but have payed for it in the past. It is well worth it IMO because that is my main source of music. I will connect my Ipod on long road trips but that is about it.

Also, I went from a 2008 MyGig w/ Infinity sound to my 2010 low end radio and all I have to say is the sound quality out of this thing is terrible!

I just got a CB for Christmas that will fit into a double DIN dash kit along with a single DIN stereo. I really want to go with the dash install but I am not willing to give up my satellite radio and do not want to spend that much on a new head unit. I guess I am stuck unless I want to pay over $200.

Not to mention the wiring harness that Crutchfield wants me to pay $120 for because "Your vehicle has no accessory power lead at the receiver."

Last edited by Mango Tango; 12-25-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:41 PM
JK Freak

Sirius sell a universal Tuner model #SC-C1C on there site for $59.99 that connects to any sat ready unit cheap or expensive? maybe check that out
Old 12-25-2010, 07:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mango Tango
Not to mention the wiring harness that Crutchfield wants me to pay $120 for because "Your vehicle has no accessory power lead at the receiver."
Do you have the Infinity 7 speaker system with sub?

if yes ? then thats about right

if no? just hook up as normal and run your own power lead to the Cig Lighter ..
Old 12-25-2010, 07:47 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info. That is a step in the right direction. The model number is now SCC1 as the SC-C1C has been discontinued.

What about the accessory power problem Crutchfield is telling me about? Are they just trying to sell me an expensive harness that I do not need?
Old 12-25-2010, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by gadget799
Do you have the Infinity 7 speaker system with sub?

if yes ? then thats about right

if no? just hook up as normal and run your own power lead to the Cig Lighter ..
No, I do not and that is a question it asked. I was hoping that's what the answer was though! Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Stereo Question