Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Stereo help please

Old 07-03-2010, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo help please

Hey,
I have a thump in my sub when I turn the key on and off, anyone know what I need to do. I rewired all the speaker wires when putting in the new system. (what a pain in the hole that was) But it only does it with the subs. The ground is connected to the same ground as the 4 channel, and there is no popping in the mid tweet speakers, I turned the gain down on the sub amp, and it just does not do it as loud now.

I was also told that 800 watts I would not need a bigger alternator, but when cranked up I loose bass, and the lights flicker. Do you think a capacitor would do the fix, I want to do the double battery thing, but just not yet. Thanks for the help
Old 07-03-2010, 05:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you wire up the amps to turn on with the radio, or just ignition? If remote wired to the radio, does it do the same thing with radio off/on (and if the radio is off, not key off/on)?

The popping and high load issues could be related, or separate. If you're hurting for amps with the sub turned up, I'd get the capacitor and otherwise beef up the system and see what happens with the pop.

But to me the pop just sounds like the sub amp getting a surge and may just be a behavior of that amp (usually a cheap amp). A capacitor should help in that case, but it's a work-around and not the root of the problem.

Good luck!

One last thought, maybe the wiring to the sub system isn't big enough? That could contribute to both issues.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes the remote turn on is coming from the deck, the whole system minus the deck is JL. I will try those things and get back. Thanks
Old 07-04-2010, 01:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PowderMonkey,
I'm not debating your remote turn on relay suggestion, but isn't the remote turn on basically a relay trigger anyway (to the circuits in the amp)? Hopefully he has dedicated battery power already run to the amps, at least 8 gauge. Probably needs well more than 8 gauge if there are amperage issues.

And PowderMonkey is correct that you should probably have a dual battery setup (there are many writeups on the forum and Rugged Ridge just came out with a kit also) with deep cycles, and possibly an alternator upgrade.

Also check that you have very good grounds for the amps. In my last vehicle, I was getting sub voltage drop and fixing the grounds lessened it to almost nothing.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks again, (sighs) I guess I will have to get both the dual battery setup and CAP going on pretty soon. I tried not listening to it loud, but that did not last long.

Who else makes the dual battery setups.
Thanks
Old 07-04-2010, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Stereo help please

I'm just curious. What gauge wire are you running to the amps and speakers?

Quick Reply: Stereo help please