Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

"Step" button on steering wheel not responding consistently

Old 09-07-2012, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Step" button on steering wheel not responding consistently

Is anyone else having this problem? I have a 2012 JKU without EVIC and the "step" button on the left side of the steering wheel doesn't always respond when it is pressed. Sometimes it does...but not all the time. Any thought? Solutions?
Old 09-07-2012, 06:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe take it to the dealer so they can check it out.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

The only recommendation I have found was to honk the horn. I tried that but with no luck. I guess it's off to the dealer. Just out of curiosity...would HID lights be a possible cause? Maybe they are causing some kind of electrical problem?
Old 09-07-2012, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got a 2012 WITH the EVIC and my Menu button doesn't always bring up the menu (although my step button works fine once I get the menu up).

It seems like I have to hit it twice, regardless of whether I hold it in for a bit or not, or whether I mash it or not. Infrequently, it brings up the menu on the 1st try. The other buttons (phone, compass, etc) seem to work fine with just a gentle touch. And I use it a lot, because I'm constantly checking my average MPG.

I remember the "just honk the horn" solution to my 2011's dead steering wheel controls issue (which a firmware flash corrected), but honking the horn doesn't seem to solve my issue. I'm wondering if it's a bad button contact or simply that Chrysler hasn't fixed the problem with the steering wheel controls yet?
Old 09-07-2012, 07:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Gort
I've got a 2012 WITH the EVIC and my Menu button doesn't always bring up the menu (although my step button works fine once I get the menu up).

It seems like I have to hit it twice, regardless of whether I hold it in for a bit or not, or whether I mash it or not. Infrequently, it brings up the menu on the 1st try. The other buttons (phone, compass, etc) seem to work fine with just a gentle touch. And I use it a lot, because I'm constantly checking my average MPG.

I remember the "just honk the horn" solution to my 2011's dead steering wheel controls issue (which a firmware flash corrected), but honking the horn doesn't seem to solve my issue. I'm wondering if it's a bad button contact or simply that Chrysler hasn't fixed the problem with the steering wheel controls yet?
Yeah that sounds very much like the same issue I am having. Once in a while it will respond on the first press but I usually have to press it multiple times to cycle through each option. The horn thing did nothing for mine. And as with your controls...all other buttons work fine. Perhaps a firmware update at the dealer is the way to go.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Which button is the step button?

I can only pull up the menu if I'm completely stopped.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Septu
Which button is the step button?

I can only pull up the menu if I'm completely stopped.
Sounds like you probably have the EVIC in your JK.If yours is equipped with that feature I don't think you'll have that button.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

This happens to me a lot as well. Sometimes the degrees will change from F to C for no reason. Ive checked the computer MGP against my own math and it is always off, so I dont even mess with that anymore
Old 09-07-2012, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by evansdad
This happens to me a lot as well. Sometimes the degrees will change from F to C for no reason. Ive checked the computer MGP against my own math and it is always off, so I dont even mess with that anymore
Ya know I've actually thought about calculating my MPG myself just to see how far off it is. I am sure it's not even close.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

I have the same problem in my 2011 JK .. I have to press twice to get it to respond..

Quick Reply: "Step" button on steering wheel not responding consistently