Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Steering wheel audio buttons failure

Old 01-13-2024, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel audio buttons failure

The audio buttons on the forward face of the steering wheel of the 2014 Wrangler I recently purchased didn't work. I either got no response or a run-away volume which rapidly went to full blast. The controls on the after market radio head work fine.
So I purchased a left and right hand button assembly and installed them today without setting off the air bag. However, the new ones act just like the old ones. Fiddling around with multiple clicks will occasionally advance the station, but most clicks don't do anything. Same with the volume. Mostly no response but if I click long enough, the volume will run away. In other words, the new ones are much like the old ones so I'm guessing the problem is elsewhere........... but where?
It would be nice if they worked, but I have my limits as to how deep I'm willing to dig and how much money I am willing to spend.
Is there something simple I should check?
Old 01-14-2024, 08:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

All of those functions run through the clockspring which is a very simple ribbon cable. Odds are you have broken or shorted connections in that ribbon.
Old 01-14-2024, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 408 Likes on 383 Posts

Welcome to JKF.
Old 01-14-2024, 12:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you buy replacement buttons set? My left side set (menu navigations keys) is DIFFICULT to use, at best.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel audio buttons failure