Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

starter arc fried somehting. ugh!

Old 10-31-2022, 02:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter arc fried somehting. ugh!

This 08 JK has been a nightmare for 18 months now. As of a few days ago we finally had it going. It does have a bad/dying neutral safety switch, but was starting in neutral when it wouldn't start in park.
I forgot to re wrap the heat shield(original was damaged) the last time I was under the Jeep, so I attempted to do so two days ago. as I was wrapping it, I noticed a small arc up at the positive lead and nut. Now the starter just clicks when I turn the key. Starter is not engaging at all. I removed the starter and took to advanced auto to replace, but we tested it and it functions perfectly.

the starter is only a few months old. I've replaced all hot and ground leads as well, with the jeepcables big 7 upgrade kit. It was starting fine before the arc. My mechanic came by and checked all the fuses and relays in the PCM, but none appear to be bad. I even tried swapping the starter relay with the similar relay, but still nothing but a click when I turn the key.

Does anyone have any idea what I may have blown or tripped when I caused the arc on my starter?
Old 11-01-2022, 07:39 AM
Former Member

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

I wanted to make sure I understood. When you wrapping the heat shield you caused an arc at the starter hot lead? Since then it won't start? If you are getting a click then the relay seems to be working. If I recall correctly this would indicate that the main fuse should be OK. I would check that you are have voltage from the battery at the starter, the ground at the starter is good and from the relay to the battery? Is it possible the battery was damaged when this was shorted?
Old 11-01-2022, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

I am asking the same question as RonandJanet about the battery after a short circuit. There are no fuses to protect the cable to and the starter so one has to be cautious working around there and should always disconnect the battery before working around the alternator or starter.
Old 11-02-2022, 03:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

correct. it was starting before I caused the arc, and only click when i turn the key now. all other interior electronics come on when i put the key in, though. ground at the starter is good.
i can check the battery next, but it was only a few weeks old so i did not think to check that one yet.

Quick Reply: starter arc fried somehting. ugh!