Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

splicing rigid dually to tail light

Old 03-24-2012, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default splicing rigid dually to tail light

I picked up a bdf tail light mount and rigid dually diffuser. For now I want to splice the wires to my reverse lights, so when I put it in reverse the light comes on, but am not sure which wires to splice. Any help and or pics are appreciated.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:51 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JeepManUnlimited
I picked up a bdf tail light mount and rigid dually diffuser. For now I want to splice the wires to my reverse lights, so when I put it in reverse the light comes on, but am not sure which wires to splice. Any help and or pics are appreciated.
i am about to do pretty much the same thing tomorrow!

i already have the BDF backup bracket and last week i ordered a rigid dually d2 light with diffusion...

i plan on splicing into the reverse wiring for now and later adding a switch so i can disable the backup d2 if i don't feel like i need it

i am planning on taking a bunch of pictures and documenting it as i go

i probably don't need a D2 but Northridge didn't have any Rigid Dually's in diffusion and i really wanted to use diffusion as i'm only putting one light on the back vs. the stereo BDF brackets that some people use

matthew
Old 03-25-2012, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK i tried splicing the wires and the dually Is not working when I put it in reverse? The wires from the dually are red and a black with red wire and the reverse light is a white with green strip and black ground wire. I have spliced wires before with no problems so this has me stumped
Old 03-25-2012, 05:59 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JeepManUnlimited
OK i tried splicing the wires and the dually Is not working when I put it in reverse? The wires from the dually are red and a black with red wire and the reverse light is a white with green strip and black ground wire. I have spliced wires before with no problems so this has me stumped
i don't have my dually d2 light yet, its due to be delivered tomorrow but from what i've read you have the right wires connected...

how are you connecting the light? do you have the switch and the plug that comes off the back of the light with the switch they provide?

have you tried just connecting the light to a battery directly? that is the first thing i plan on doing with my d2, i'm kind of anal about wanting to do a test right out of the box so in the one in a thousand chance i get a bad unit i don't waste a ton of time chasing my tail!

matthew
Old 03-26-2012, 02:55 PM
JK Junkie

ok i did the install/wire splicing today on my 2012 jk sport s

there were three wires on my reverse lamp, two white and one black

i tapped the black to the black and the red to the white that was the farthest away from the black and when i tested it the LED came on just fine so that is the one i soldered onto and everything is working as expected.

what year is your jeep?

i would try stripping away a small area on the wire you didn't tap into and try connecting the red to that and see if it works...you only have three wires and one is black so the odds are the wire thats left is it.

matthew

Quick Reply: splicing rigid dually to tail light