Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

speaker upgrade

Old 03-30-2012, 09:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcub
Great thread here, exactly what I was looking for. I have a '12 JKU with the basic sounds system and want to keep the head unit, but upgrade the speakers. I assume the HU won't fully power new speakers, but just a slight upgrade in sound has to be worth it. All those mentioned got good reviews on Crutchfield and the install sounds easy. I am concerned about the dash tweeters though. Any feedback on install there? How's bass for those without a sub (or is best to go sub?). Thanks.
I had to do some minor modifications to the stock tweeters housings in my '11 JK. I had to modify the grill plate and then slightly shave the housings to then mount the tweeters. I wanted a stock look with the factory housings. I used CDT Audio TW-25 tweeters.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

subscribed to decide on replacement speakers for my base system. at first the mopar boston acoustics looked good, but i always had good luck with the Alpine coaxials i saw mentioned too..
Old 03-31-2012, 07:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rip_Em_801
I just put the Alpine SPS-610 coaxial in the soundbar, and the SPS-610C in the front... Holy s#%the, they sound so awesome. I am still using the stock HU.
bro, your front set was components? did you utilize the alpine crossover for this, or did you just connect the speakers to all the existing wires?

this is probably the ones i will get today, as my local best buy has them. i had had a lot of sets of Alpine on various levels. The coax used to be better and more sensitive a few years ago, but they're still pretty good.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the info! The Alpine speakers sound promising as I can get them locally at Best Buy. However, the Crutchfield fit tool says they don't fit my vehicle. Sounds like others have had success though. Also looking at the Kicker upgrade and both Polk and Boston Acoustics. Decisions, decisions.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by notyou21
I just replaced the speakers in the sound bar too with the Polk DB651s and I have coming the DB6051s for the fronts. I am running the stock head unit also with the Infinity system. Look on Amazon for the Db6051s and Db651s, I got the 6051s for $114 shipped.
Did you get all the appropriate wiring harnesses and adapter plates with an Amazon purchase? I'm concerned I'll need to buy other pieces that Crutchfield supplies with purchase.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tcub

Did you get all the appropriate wiring harnesses and adapter plates with an Amazon purchase? I'm concerned I'll need to buy other pieces that Crutchfield supplies with purchase.
You get the adapter plates with the speakers but I'll pick up the speaker wire adapters at Best Buy they are $14.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by guarnibl
I currently have the REN (09 Mygig). Before I had a Kenwood deck with Polk MM's for front/soundbar with a JL Audio sub. Sounded OK. But then got nervous about amps getting wet the way they were mounting. We also cut out the stock cage and did a custom one.

So anyway.. new plan is as follows.

REN 09 MyGIG w/ Lockpick
- JL Audio mid's/tweeters.
- 12" JL Audio sub in tailgate.
- 5 channel JL Audio amp mounted in dash.

See:
I love that box setup you have. I'm going to see about having one built the same way!
Old 04-09-2012, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

has anyone swapped out the factory sub and installed a new one in the factory location for more bass? i like the factory fit, but want more bass without installing a custom enclosure or aftermarket amp.

Last edited by transitdynamics; 04-10-2012 at 07:40 AM.

Quick Reply: speaker upgrade