Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

speaker upgrade

Old 03-27-2012, 05:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speaker upgrade

What do you guys think are the best speaker upgrades for a stock stereo? I will be keeping the stock head unit for now, upgrading in the future. I have an '08 JKU with sub. Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chad673
what do you guys think are the best speaker upgrades for a stock stereo? I will be keeping the stock head unit for now, upgrading in the future. I have an '08 jku with sub. Thanks in advance!!
i've been looking into the same thing. I want to keep my stock head for now and upgrade some speakers. I was going to just go and buy the kicker replacements for it, which are pretty well priced, but then i saw a dude in the forum post these, mopar part #5081670ab, 6.5" boston acoustic speakers. Theyre used in the challenger, rear shelf speakers, and apparently they have the same mounting tabs as the speakers in the wrangler. The boston acoustic speakers are whats installed in the challenger as the premium package. They're under 40 bucks too. I'm looking at giving these a try.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just put the Alpine SPS-610 coaxial in the soundbar, and the SPS-610C in the front... Holy s#%the, they sound so awesome. I am still using the stock HU.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Alpines huh? That would sound nice. I like alpine especially some of the head units they offer.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by azrwilkinson
Alpines huh? That would sound nice. I like alpine especially some of the head units they offer.
I was able to talk the salesman down to $160.00 for both sets.

They fit perfectly, they come with a mounting bracket that fit perfectly up front, and in the sound bar.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:51 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by chad673
What do you guys think are the best speaker upgrades for a stock stereo? I will be keeping the stock head unit for now, upgrading in the future. I have an '08 JKU with sub. Thanks in advance!!
a lot of it depends what your local stereo shop carries...

i've been really happy with the kicker speakers i have in my 2012jk, alpine and polk also make great speakers

i have the components up front and the coaxial in the soundbar and it sounds great with the factory head unit and no amplifiers

matthew
Old 03-28-2012, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

I threw a set of Polk Audio Components in the front and a set of Polk Audio 2 ways in the rear. Not only do they sound good, but they are marine rated as well.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by zfortna
I threw a set of Polk Audio Components in the front and a set of Polk Audio 2 ways in the rear. Not only do they sound good, but they are marine rated as well.
what model # did you get and how much were they?

i've been getting really tempted to put some marine speakers in the back, i've great luck with polk in the past, boston acoustic as well

matthew
Old 03-28-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

Originally Posted by zfortna
That's my beef, when I upgrade, they need to be marine rated.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
what model # did you get and how much were they?

i've been getting really tempted to put some marine speakers in the back, i've great luck with polk in the past, boston acoustic as well

matthew
In the sound bar i put in Polk db651s and up front I put Polk DB6501. Ordered the db651s from crutchfield as they came with the necessary speaker adapters and mounted woofers on the db6501 right to the speaker boxes. Tweeters took a bit of customizing on the stock tombstones, but fit like a glove and sound great. Since they didn't take any special mounting brackets, i was able to find a good deal on the DB6501 on ebay.

Quick Reply: speaker upgrade