Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Speaker Problems

Old 11-19-2007, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contact!

Ok... for those of us who are experiencing 'blown speaker sound' when ipod is plugged into the AUX jack, (i also experience this occasionally with the SAT radio) I think we need to start contacting Jeep and bring it to their attention if they haven't already heard about this.

My dealer installed a NEW infinity radio for me (I had only had my Jeep about 2 weeks) and guess what... STILL the same prob. So they basically said "um, yeah, we don't know what to do".

So for now, plugging the ipod in to the AUX jack by it's headphone output jack and not by it's base (but I can't use my sweet belkin charge-n-play all in one cord! ) seems to work fine.

Hopefully Jeep can figure this out... and maybe we'll get a recall on that one.

And correct me if I'm wrong but I think Chrysler sells an ipod jack to go with the infinity that plugs into the base of the ipod... hmmmm.... I wonder if anyone has had issues with that??
Old 11-20-2007, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Add me to the list too: Snap-Crackle-Pop with mp3-CDs playing R&B and some Ozzy. It even does it at REALLY loud volumes when I have the volume WAY down!!!

Definitely something with the digital decoding, not the speakers at all. The radio (FM) has no problem, at full blast levels!!!!

I'm taking it to the dealer today - I'm thiking aftermarket head unit though. Should solve the problem. The stock Inifinity system is actually OK otherwise. Needs a real sub, but not bad...
Old 11-29-2007, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

wow! and I thought I would be the only one. Today I was out this morning driving around and I decided to listen to a CD (SPARTA: threes) in the Rubi, we usually just listen to sat radio, but not this morning . About 10 min into the CD, I had just got on the free way I heard this loud pop. At first I thought the freedom panels might be lose or something may have hit it. Then it happened again and again, so I turn the radio off and listen , nothing happened. After turning the cd back on it happened again. I knew it had to be the speakers. Weird , I thought because they sound like they are blown but I was not playing them very loud at all. vol was on 12 , on the upgraded sound system. The sound would pop and crackle a little like a bad connection or something was not grounded right. Anyhow this sucks because I really like this CD and now it seems I will not beable to listen to it with out all the crackle and pop. The Rubi only has 1100 miles on her so I know the speakers are not blown. we need someone at Jeep to fix this problem . Very strange how this can happen. Hope they can give us a fix for it soon
Old 11-29-2007, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just got off the phone with a rep from Chrysler Canada and explained the situation hopefully it will get passed down to those able to find a solution.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

No luck.

I took it to the dealer. They agree that something is wrong, and offered to swap the head unit, knowing well that it would be VERY unlikely to fix the problem.

They said they would contact Chrysler Canada and, if enough people chimed in, something would probably get done eventually.

F that, the stock radio sucks as is, even when it behaves - I'm not waiting around for 6 months to see if Chrysler wakes up. Head unit swap this weekend, plus I'm wiring a twin-10" sub box with a D-class amp.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just curious,

Has anyone replaced ONLY the head unit and used the stock speakers with the Infinity system? I'm wondering if that fixed the snap/crackle/pop problem
Old 11-29-2007, 09:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I noticed that most of the pops and cracks come from the soundbar speakers. Anyway, I did replaced them with Kicker speakers and notice a big improvement. Only 1 or 2 songs still have the pops, the rest are gone.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:38 PM
JK Newbie

Hey guys. Im new here. I just picked up a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited and I have the same problem. It only happens on Cd's, not the radio... loud loud loud clicks and pops. After reading this and hearing what the dealer had to say, "we dont know what it is..." Im debating getting an aftermarket deck as I know its not the speakers because the radio is fine.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-12-2007, 03:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stickboy productions
." Im debating getting an aftermarket deck as I know its not the speakers because the radio is fine.

Any thoughts?
Don't do it It is your amp causing the problem...

This is from an email I got form the company that makes the radio

"On the popping noise, This is another important note for MY08 Wrangler users that have an external amplifier with the MyGIG radio. There is too much gain in the external amplifier (premium sound system) at low volume levels that is creating clipping of the audio signal. It produces a “pop and crackle” sound especially in the high bass setting of the radio. If you have this problem please have your amplifier replaced with part number Z5064140AG by your dealer.

Make sure the part number has the suffix AG, it corrects the gain issue."

Last edited by Rescue Bean; 12-12-2007 at 03:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Speaker Problems