Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Sound sytem new guy and Yes! I searched....

Old 12-23-2014, 10:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound sytem new guy and Yes! I searched....

Hi all,
As most would agree, despite driving the best vehicle manufactured, it has a few short comings. Jumping from a mustang with the shaker 1000 audio system to the base level wrangler is a bit underwhelming to say the least.

So, help me out if you can. What would I need to do to get a decent sound quality out of this system?

I assume a new head unit is in order? The only requirement is an aux jack... Maybe a clock, but that's it.
Would I need an amp? Speakers?

I'd like to do this project for as little as possible just to get a little bit more quality and a louder output for when the jeep is naked. As it is now, I can barely hear anything with the doors off and the top down. All in all, high side of maybe $200 if I can?
Old 12-24-2014, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Replacing the stock head unit would make it sound better to begin with. Check out Crutchfield.com, they have several decent and cheap head units and they usually throw in free/discounted installation items. They also have speakers from around $40.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 12-24-2014, 06:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rtittsworth
Replacing the stock head unit would make it sound better to begin with. Check out Crutchfield.com, they have several decent and cheap head units and they usually throw in free/discounted installation items. They also have speakers from around $40. Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Would an amp make a difference? I'm an electrician by trade but this is foreign to me. Any brand you suggest/avoid?
Old 12-24-2014, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

The new Alpine 9 speaker system sounds pretty good, but the base system is pretty bad. To get the best sound you will want a new aftermarket head unit, amps, and replace the speakers.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
The new Alpine 9 speaker system sounds pretty good, but the base system is pretty bad. To get the best sound you will want a new aftermarket head unit, amps, and replace the speakers.
I've seen kenwood head units for around $80, will this do the job? I don't want anything fancy, just a aux plug. Could you post a link of an amp possibly, please?
Old 12-24-2014, 08:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Merry Christmas Bump!
Old 12-25-2014, 07:50 AM
JK Super Freak

With a $200 budget you aren't going to get much, hell if stay with the factory stuff. Set your budget around $1000 and spend it over the course of 6 months. Buy a headunit $300. Front components, $100-200. Rear coax $100. 4 channel amp $150-200. And the rest in wire and RCA cables, dash kit, steering wheel controls and adapters. Be done with it.

If you are wanting a sub and amp. It can be done for $1000 bucks as well.

Great reviews and an awesome price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Sony-XS-...item41874cd16d

Great price, and put out good clean power. Just not class a/b clean. Joker is tiny too!

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...PI-P900.5.html

As far as a headunit, you are on your own. If you want a ton of control and time alignment, Id go with a pioneer prs80. If you want a double din Id stay with pioneer, kenwood, or jvc. In that order. Stay with anything that's 4v pre outs or above.

Now, as far as wiring goes. I don't notice much noise reduction between the cheap Walmart rcas and the 100 dollar pairs. But some people do.

Do yourself a favor and purchase OFC wire. You'll have minimal voltage drop from the battery to the amp. I would suggest doing the big three too. If you need a solid ground there are ground posts on each side of the console. It's between there and each seat. The seat does have to come out. But it takes 5 minutes to do so. That amp SHOULD mount under the rear seat.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

With a $200 budget....new speakers like kicker will make a drastic improvement. Just get new speakers and maybe an amp

Quick Reply: Sound sytem new guy and Yes! I searched....