Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Sound systems suggestions?

Old 11-05-2007, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound systems suggestions?

Howdy

I'm thinking on upgrading my sounds system which would consist of the following:

1. Installing a new head unit (With Sirius Radio)
2. Replace tweeters and speakers n the sound bar
3. Add a amp
4. Add a sub woofer w enclosure

I've been out of the audio game for while. What would everyone recommend? I know marine audio equipment is water resistant? Should I go for that? Does it sound any different than normal car equipment? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:22 PM
JK Freak

I love my JVC KD-NX5000. It has detachable face, plays any type of audio and video. Supports bluetooth, MP3 player input, back up camera. Has GPS and XM/Sirius. Also has a hard drive, I think about 25Gb of usable space.

The display is a little small. But with all of the features it is hard to beat.

I wanted GPS, XM and Video, but did not want to mount a bunch of aftermarket stuff on the dash because I was concerned about theft. With the detachable face, I really don't have to worry about it.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by hurstrescue
I love my JVC KD-NX5000. It has detachable face, plays any type of audio and video. Supports bluetooth, MP3 player input, back up camera. Has GPS and XM/Sirius. Also has a hard drive, I think about 25Gb of usable space.

The display is a little small. But with all of the features it is hard to beat.

I wanted GPS, XM and Video, but did not want to mount a bunch of aftermarket stuff on the dash because I was concerned about theft. With the detachable face, I really don't have to worry about it.
can you use the existing sirius tuner in the car, or do you have to purchase a new one with this head unit?
Old 11-05-2007, 04:05 PM
JK Freak

Not sure. I installed the XM tuner for mine.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you have an active Sirius subscription, call Sirius with the numbers from your new HU and they will walk you through activation. Customer service is pretty good. The activation switch is just as quick as the initial activation.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thegreathoe
can you use the existing sirius tuner in the car, or do you have to purchase a new one with this head unit?
No, you have to get another tuner. Its an add on module. Your subscription, however, you can most likely transfer as was mentioned above.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

You are correct you call Sirius and they will switch it over to the new radio. Thank you for the answers so far. Are there any more suggestions? I did find a thread about kickers for the sound bar. I think I will go for them, i'm still up in the sir about everything else. Thank to those who answers thus far.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

I wouldn't bother with marine grade. most people put regular decks in their boats these days. the differences are too minor for the cost.

I'll be looking into some speakers for the soundbar and maybe dash too this winter... have you figured out what sizes are in those spots?
Old 11-11-2007, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes. Another post said they dash and the Sound Bar are 6.5's I'm not sure what size the tweeters are though. I'm still searching the forum for that info. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

The sound bar and fronts are 6.5 yes and I am not sure about the tweeters. The tweeters I put in were larger than factory so I cut out the difference with a blade. They fit very well now and I didn't have to add the back brackets. They are simply pushed in and have never moved even slightly.
For speakers, I bought Focal. They are very expensive but are some of the best high/mid range speakers I have ever heard. The subs: I use is a simple custom down firing sub box with two 10' Jlaudio subs. To push these you should use two amps.

Quick Reply: Sound systems suggestions?