Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Something is Wrong with my Temp Gauge and Compass

Old 01-22-2013, 03:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something is Wrong with my Temp Gauge and Compass

Ok what has caused my Compase to be 180 degrees off. I am pointed north and it says south also my Temp gauge is 5 degrees off. Is there a reason for this in and 08 or even a way to fix it?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:18 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Have you recently removed and reinstalled the compass from the center dash top cover?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

This is the OEM one were the spedo, rpm, and milage gauges are. This is the factory one.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:56 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by PatrickESJK
This is the OEM one were the spedo, rpm, and milage gauges are. This is the factory one.
The compass head is mounted under the top cover, over the radio.

It's usually 180° off because someone has removed it for some reason, and reinstalled it backwards.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:08 AM
JK Freak

AH one problem solved!!! what about the External Temp gauge?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:27 AM
JK Jedi Master

AH one problem solved!!! what about the External Temp gauge?
Does that mean you fixed it?

5° off for the ambient air temp sensor isn't uncommon. Mine is 2° off.

There are certain conditions that have to be met before the reading will update.

Vehicle with the key off for more than 4 hours...The CCN will update the ambient temperature reading immediately.

Vehicle with key off for more than 2 hours but less than 4 hours....The CCN will update the ambient temperature reading immediately after vehicle reaches above 20 mph (with no duration constraint) and will update every 500 ms thereafter.

Vehicle with the key off for less than 2 hours...The CCN will display the last temperature reading (which is stored in memory) just prior to the ignition being turned off. The CCN will not update the value in the display until the car has been driven at 20 MPH or above for 3 consecutive minutes.

If the vehicles speed and drive time doesn't meet the criteria the CCN will
continue to display the stored value until the criteria is met.

Once the criteria is met, then the CCN will update the display every 500 ms based off of the ambient temperature sensor output.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Does that mean you fixed it?

5° off for the ambient air temp sensor isn't uncommon. Mine is 2° off.

There are certain conditions that have to be met before the reading will update.

Vehicle with the key off for more than 4 hours...The CCN will update the ambient temperature reading immediately.

Vehicle with key off for more than 2 hours but less than 4 hours....The CCN will update the ambient temperature reading immediately after vehicle reaches above 20 mph (with no duration constraint) and will update every 500 ms thereafter.

Vehicle with the key off for less than 2 hours...The CCN will display the last temperature reading (which is stored in memory) just prior to the ignition being turned off. The CCN will not update the value in the display until the car has been driven at 20 MPH or above for 3 consecutive minutes.

If the vehicles speed and drive time doesn't meet the criteria the CCN will
continue to display the stored value until the criteria is met.

Once the criteria is met, then the CCN will update the display every 500 ms based off of the ambient temperature sensor output.
Hu, SO this is all computer based and there is nothing I can do. Now normally when I get up in the am to go to work these criteria have been meet. How ever when I get to work which is about 30 mins away the NOAA/NASA sign is 5 degrees warmer then what I have. I would figure NOAA stuff is right. I have not fixed the compass, I have to wait til tonight before I can turn it the other way.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:16 AM
JK Jedi Master

Hu, SO this is all computer based and there is nothing I can do. Now normally when I get up in the am to go to work these criteria have been meet. How ever when I get to work which is about 30 mins away the NOAA/NASA sign is 5 degrees warmer then what I have. I would figure NOAA stuff is right. I have not fixed the compass, I have to wait til tonight before I can turn it the other way.
Don't rely on other temp displays. The only way to know foir sure is use a calibrated thermometer placed next to your Jeep's sensor.

This is what I did:

I have two thermometers.
One is calibrated and certified. (Alcohol Thermometer)
The other has a year long history of reading the same as the calibrated one, when sitting next to it. (Mercury Thermometer)

I taped mercury thermometer next to the JK sensor. (The calibrated/certified one was too expensive to risk having it taped onto the bumper.)

The alcohol thermometer was in the passenger's front seat.
All the windows were open. It was a heavily overcast day.

After about 10 minutes of driving, I noted the following results.

The JK display read 70°F
The thermometer next to it read 72°F
The thermometer in the cab read 71.5

After the return trip, I noted the following results.

The JK display read 69°F
The thermometer next to it read 71°F
The thermometer in the cab read 71°F

After I parked and shut off the engine, I put the thermometer that was in the cab, next to the one by the JK sensor.
After 5 minutes, both test thermometers read 78°F.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:53 AM
JK Freak

Dam! Were is the OEM thermometer located on the JK?

Quick Reply: Something is Wrong with my Temp Gauge and Compass