Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Solar panels

Old 08-30-2015, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solar panels

Was reading about someone using solar panels to charge a battery that powered a refrigerator and inverter.. Has anyone else done this and could explain how this works and recommend how I would set it up
Old 08-30-2015, 10:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Solar panel charge battery/batteries, the battery powers the inverter , the wattage of the inverter should exceed the wattage for the refrigerator. You can YouTube the set ups others have done.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think someone did a write up of installing a solar power system on their off road trailer a while back. From what I remember, the solar panel powers a solar controller, which charges the battery that powers the the inverter.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...ations-320150/

Here's what I did.
What are the things you want to power with your solar system?
Old 08-31-2015, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by crusaderJK
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...ations-320150/ Here's what I did. What are the things you want to power with your solar system?
Mostly running a refrigerator and charging a cell phone or 2 that we use to play music and also connecting to my roof top tent and run the lights and power outlets I have on there and I'd like my solar panel to connect to my genesis dual battery kit. I don't know if it could possible damage the isolator or how to wire it to charge both battery's or how to wire it at all.. I use my jeep for camping
Old 08-31-2015, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's really very simple there are numerous write ups on Expedition Portal.com from the over landing guys. Just a suggestion run your refridge on 12 power as you lose too much conveying 12v to 110ac. For most applications a 100 or 80 watt panel will do. I have a 100 watt panel mounted to the top of my Wilderness rack on a 2012 jk sport and it provides plenty of juice.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jessejames46
Mostly running a refrigerator and charging a cell phone or 2 that we use to play music and also connecting to my roof top tent and run the lights and power outlets I have on there and I'd like my solar panel to connect to my genesis dual battery kit. I don't know if it could possible damage the isolator or how to wire it to charge both battery's or how to wire it at all.. I use my jeep for camping
All you'll need is a solar panel and a solar charge controller. You connect the panel to the charge controller and the charge controller to the battery/ies (as it has been said before).

For charging both batteries I see different options:

1. You connect the charge controller to the main battery. That will first charge the main battery. When the voltage gets to be 13.2V or higher, it'll trigger the isolator and then charge both batteries. This might not work since the charging voltage can be lower than 13.2V.

2. There are solar charge controllers that have ports for two batteries. You can connect the charge controller to both batteries and charge them independently. But I don't know if they charge simultaneously or switch between the batteries.

3. Use 2 charge controllers - one for each battery.

Question is if you really have to charge the main battery...
Old 09-02-2015, 03:44 AM
Former Member

You will get better replies if you can say everything you want to power is 12v dc.
If you plan on taking something out of your house to use in your rooftop tent in the middle of nowhere powered by 110v ac then that is a different question
Old 09-08-2015, 08:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would email the guys at Genesis. I'm sure they could steer you in the right direction.

Quick Reply: Solar panels