Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Solar Dual Battery Setup

Old 12-21-2012, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Solar Dual Battery Setup

Ok so I wanted to get a few ideas regarding how I should setup my project I have been working on. I am in the process of finishing up my fridge build for the back of my JKU. I built a flat hinge plate for the back where the small side fold down rear seat was. I removed the small side of the split seat and now that area is a flat piece of plate that is powder coated black and has an area underneath for tools and such. On top of the plate is a 40L compressor fridge/freezer with a transit bag in black covering it all to match up the rest of the gear and seat covers. I am in the process of putting in the More Dual Battery setup and installing a 60W solar panel system on the freedom panels to run the fridge full time. I put a relay solenoid on the two batteries so I isolate my main battery for charging and keep the alternate battery for accessories like the fridge, CB, compressor, lights, etc. When the jeep is first started it runs a full charge to the alternate battery first for 20 mins or so then swaps over to full cycle on the main battery.

My question is what if anything should I put between the solar panels and the alternate battery to ensure the panels dont cause a drain on the battery during non charging conditions. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can i get some pics!?! and maybe but a type of fuze maybe so it wount act backwards or overcharge it, like a computer to monitor it.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:19 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Some panels come with diodes to prevent draw during no charge conditions. Look at yours, and look at the paperwork that came with it.
Do you have a charge controller? I'm pretty sure a 60 watt panel should have one.

Quick Reply: Solar Dual Battery Setup