Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Sock radio amp install

Old 01-27-2007, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sock radio amp install

Here are some pics of the amp install I did on my stock radio. The remote wire came off the driverside power outlet. I used the rear spreaker wires to power the input of the amp. My amp has High input. If yours don't just get a hi/low converter. I got 2 MTX 8" in a box in the back and it sounds great

OOOPS I ment stock radio,but you already new that.... Whats a sock radio? lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	topcover.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	596   Click image for larger version

Name:	bottomcover.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	597   Click image for larger version

Name:	frontcover.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	598   Click image for larger version

Name:	remotewire.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	599   Click image for larger version

Name:	readioharness.JPG
Views:	361
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	600  

Old 01-29-2007, 01:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jkchris

OOOPS I ment stock radio,but you already new that.... Whats a sock radio? lol
I hear they stink.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:36 AM
JK Super Freak

I take it you just tapped into the lines going out for the rear speaker? meaning you left them still connected to from the head unit to the speakers and just "tapped" into them to feed the amp? I'm about to do this today but with a factory sub... and the factory 6-disc with no factory amp (b/c i can't find a harness or antyhing to hook it up) so hopefully mine will work like yours!

where did you install the amp?
Old 03-24-2007, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Tapping in ..... also

I think I can speak for some of us. But the stock system without the SUB, really bites !!!!

I want to install a "powered" 50amp or 100amp Bazookatube. These things are pretty basic for the missing sound it lacks. First, could I tap into the wires from the rear speakers? Or maybe through the dash might help since I need to get power from the amp from the lighter? Will this jump the lighter? In another a thread, they mention some amps have a speaker input instead of rca. What worked for you? I'm just trying to find the most painless way MAN !!!
Old 03-25-2007, 05:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by CliffCrawler
I think I can speak for some of us. But the stock system without the SUB, really bites !!!!

I want to install a "powered" 50amp or 100amp Bazookatube. These things are pretty basic for the missing sound it lacks. First, could I tap into the wires from the rear speakers? Or maybe through the dash might help since I need to get power from the amp from the lighter? Will this jump the lighter? In another a thread, they mention some amps have a speaker input instead of rca. What worked for you? I'm just trying to find the most painless way MAN !!!
I just hooked up a Bazooka amp to the stock head unit, what I did was run the power wire to the amp through the rubber boot under the passenger side dash where a big group of factory wires goes through. I slid my wire on the outside of the boot, you can reach the other side if you slide your hand up between the plastic wheel well stuff and the firewall (no need to remove battery tray). Then I ran the ground to one of the bolts that hold the center console in, I used an eye ring end peice on the wire. then I tapped into the rear out off the deck. My amp needed RCA cables, so I spliced a pair. then I used the hot wire to the driver side cig. lighter as the remote wire to the amp.

hope that helps, and I don't think I would use the cig lighter to power the amp, but I do have the pass. side cig lighter powering my CB, so maybe an amp would be ok too?? but i've always ran amps straight to the battery with an inline fuse.

good luck man!
Old 03-25-2007, 09:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Smile Awesome....

Originally Posted by ThinkMud
I just hooked up a Bazooka amp to the stock head unit, what I did was run the power wire to the amp through the rubber boot under the passenger side dash where a big group of factory wires goes through. I slid my wire on the outside of the boot, you can reach the other side if you slide your hand up between the plastic wheel well stuff and the firewall (no need to remove battery tray). Then I ran the ground to one of the bolts that hold the center console in, I used an eye ring end peice on the wire. then I tapped into the rear out off the deck. My amp needed RCA cables, so I spliced a pair. then I used the hot wire to the driver side cig. lighter as the remote wire to the amp.

hope that helps, and I don't think I would use the cig lighter to power the amp, but I do have the pass. side cig lighter powering my CB, so maybe an amp would be ok too?? but i've always ran amps straight to the battery with an inline fuse.

good luck man!
This sounds like the easiest way for me to hook this. How did you determine the rear speakers from the head unit? As of splicing the rca cables, did you do trial and error for the +s and -s. I'll probably do the exact same to run it straight to the battery and remote off the driver side cig. By the way, which Bazooka did you get? 100w or 50w powered. Does it give it some real sound that was lacking? Thx for everything...
Old 03-26-2007, 03:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by CliffCrawler
This sounds like the easiest way for me to hook this. How did you determine the rear speakers from the head unit? As of splicing the rca cables, did you do trial and error for the +s and -s. I'll probably do the exact same to run it straight to the battery and remote off the driver side cig. By the way, which Bazooka did you get? 100w or 50w powered. Does it give it some real sound that was lacking? Thx for everything...

I have the tech. manual, so I just looked up the wires, i'll try to post a pic of the wiring diagram after work today. I put in the stock sub powered by a Bazooka 500w mono amp but I think a regular Bazooka tube would sound better.

Quick Reply: Sock radio amp install