Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

So anybody know much about Kenwood Head units?

Old 03-18-2010, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So anybody know much about Kenwood Head units?

So I have a Kenwood DNX5120 head unit that keeps going into "Protect" mode every time I turn the volume up past 15. The unit is wired to a 5 Channel Infinity Reference 5350a amp which has 6 Infinity speakers and a sub hooked up to it.

I read the manual and according to that, protect mode means a speaker wire is coming into contact with something metal, and goes into this mode as a safety measure. I checked all the speakers, and even disconnected each one, one at a time to see if maybe one was bad but every time i turn the volume up past lucky number 15, it does it. I just recently unplugged my battery and let it sit per a recommendation from a local car audio place, but still does it.

So if anyone out there has knowledge, or even a suggestion I'd love to hear it, I'm going crazy not being able to hear my music on drive to and from work.

Thanks
Old 03-18-2010, 10:34 PM
JK Newbie

Ya, a speaker wire on the headunit is touching ground or another channels + or -.
Make sure the wires on the headunits harness are not frayed, cut, split basically no copper showing to "ground out" and make it protect itself
These are the speaker wire colors

LF-White/black
White +
RF-Grey/Black
Grey +
LR-Green/Black
Green +
RR-Purple/black
purple +

I have rarely seen a headunit go into protect mode due to the RCA's. Good luck thats a niiice headunit!
Old 03-19-2010, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome man thanks for the tips. I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow and hopefully this will fix it. For as nice as this unit, it's giving me a serious headache!
Old 03-19-2010, 09:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Isolate where the problem is.

Get a spare kenwood plug and only hook up 12v, switched power and ground. Turn past 15... any issue? Yes, internal radio issue. No, proceed to next step.

Hook up RCA's (assuming that is how you have hooked to the amp). Turn past 15... any issue?
If yes, isolate rca that is the issue and replace. Fix?
If no, amplifier related issue (never heard of this, but with electricity crazy things can happen) . If yes, fixed!
If no, proceed to next step.

Hook up each set of speaker wires one at a time. 15... issue?
If yes, issue found... resolve it . If no, next set.

If you get to this point with no issue past 15, problem solved at some point along the way. Not a satisfying fix not knowing the issue, but a fix none the less.

Quick Reply: So anybody know much about Kenwood Head units?