Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Smoked Lights Beware (Ohio)

Old 01-17-2013, 04:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smoked Lights Beware (Ohio)

Co-Worker of mine has blacked-out tail-lights on his truck. Last week he was rear-ended. Of course the officer sited the people that hit him for "un-assured clear distance". This is where is gets interesting; While their insurance is fixing his truck... They have started a civil lawsuit against him for "knowingly tampering and degrading the output of the brake lights". This guy has had some issues with alcohol and has an attorney that helped him out with some DUIs. When he consulted him about this he said it seemed legit. (Although he referred him to someone else.)

I am not trying to start anything here... I like the look of smoked tail lights. I also know that it is possible to have the blacked-out look and still provide the same or even more light (depending on your set-up) This is more of-a PSA. It would appear that when you smoke your tail-lights you run the risk of lawsuit; should some-one rear-end you. This is at least something you may want to look into before you pull the trigger on the mod.

I don't really like the guy so I didn't get anymore details than what I have mentioned here. Our conversations are always one way... He chews my ear off about his truck mods. If he tells me more I will update, but I don't want to give him the wrong idea and start a conversation I only listen to keep a decent working relationship.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:45 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow that Sux...... I know cops usually don't bust chops for them around here but if u get rear ended there's always the chance that someone will say it was caused because they couldn't see ur lights and now that there destroyed they only see a tinted light and, ur beat.

Thanks for the PSA
Old 01-17-2013, 05:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enlightening story thanks for posting. Not trying to stir the pot but I always wonder why someone would choose looks over visibility.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Smoking the tail lights or other lights is just asking for problems IMO. I have been behind more than a few that were nearly impossible to see when the lights were on. If I hit someone because I couldn't see they were stopping, I would make an issue of it as well. They look cool, but just aren't safe for other drivers

Quick Reply: Smoked Lights Beware (Ohio)