Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Sirius Subscription Question - Specifically 2012

Old 03-11-2013, 03:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At renewal time call and ask for the cancellation department. Tell them it is too expensive and you want to cancel. They will do almost anything to keep you as a customer.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased my brand new 2012 JKUR Sept 15th last year. It was a brand new Jeep (65kms) but had been labelled as "used" by the dealership so they could adjust their new vehicle inventory count (that's what I was told). The Jeep had never left their lot nor had anyone ever owned it. The sat radio worked when I test drove the Jeep as well. I didn't have to set anything up.
Now just yesterday, I received a letter from Sirius saying my free 1 year subscription was expiring this month, Aug 18th. Which is less a month from the 1 year free subscription I was told I was receiving. When I called the dealership about this I was initially told by someone in the business department that the subscription was probably setup on this date and the free 1 year trial started on this date, not the date I took ownership of it. I told him that was BS and that I wasn't having it. He then asked who my salesman was and said he would have him call me back. So now I'm waiting.

What do you guys think about this? Am I entitled to my FULL 1 year free trial from Sirius?
Old 08-09-2013, 12:02 PM
JK Freak

I'd try calling Sirius customer service see if they can help you out.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

Tried that already, they told me I have to deal with the dealership. Still waiting for a call back from the dealership.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:51 AM
JK Newbie

Ok this exact same thing happened to me when I bought my 2012 at the end of the summer. In my contract with the dealer in stated 6 months free trial subscription to Sirius. To weeks after I purchased my jeep the trial ended. As you I called Sirius and was told contact the dealer. I called them and was given the runaround. No problem had my brother in law write them a very nice letter stating that they are in breech of contract and we plan on bringing an action in court. Three days later I was contacted by the sales manager stating " it was just a misunderstanding and of course you get the 6 months". It was activated by the dealer that day. Yeah misunderstanding on his part thinking I was going to just roll over and take in the aazz. Suggest you do the same. If you don't rattle some cages they win. They win enough times time for us to win. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:39 AM
JK Newbie

Default half off

Yup, on my 2012 they called me to notify me that my 1 year trial was about to expire. I told them that I was not that interested and I would only renew for a year if it was half off. She said ok and it was done. I declined the auto renew option.

I don't use it that often, and the sound quality does suck.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RubiconDan
I purchased my brand new 2012 JKUR Sept 15th last year. It was a brand new Jeep (65kms) but had been labelled as "used" by the dealership so they could adjust their new vehicle inventory count (that's what I was told). The Jeep had never left their lot nor had anyone ever owned it. The sat radio worked when I test drove the Jeep as well. I didn't have to set anything up.
Now just yesterday, I received a letter from Sirius saying my free 1 year subscription was expiring this month, Aug 18th. Which is less a month from the 1 year free subscription I was told I was receiving. When I called the dealership about this I was initially told by someone in the business department that the subscription was probably setup on this date and the free 1 year trial started on this date, not the date I took ownership of it. I told him that was BS and that I wasn't having it. He then asked who my salesman was and said he would have him call me back. So now I'm waiting.

What do you guys think about this? Am I entitled to my FULL 1 year free trial from Sirius?
It depends. Most are under the assumption that it is a free one year subscription, however, unless there is something worked out with the dealer the cost of the one year is included in the price of the Jeep. Most people don't realize it but if you look at the window sticker on most vehicles, they have sirius radio in the break down for 100 and some odd dollar amount. So to answer your question...unless the dealer promised you free sirius in your deal (in writing) look at your window sticker break down and if it is listed then the dealership should have set it up from the date you purchased it extending a year from then (you've already paid for it). If it isn't listed then you will have to call sirius and work out a deal.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toolow262

It depends. Most are under the assumption that it is a free one year subscription, however, unless there is something worked out with the dealer the cost of the one year is included in the price of the Jeep. Most people don't realize it but if you look at the window sticker on most vehicles, they have sirius radio in the break down for 100 and some odd dollar amount. So to answer your question...unless the dealer promised you free sirius in your deal (in writing) look at your window sticker break down and if it is listed then the dealership should have set it up from the date you purchased it extending a year from then (you've already paid for it). If it isn't listed then you will have to call sirius and work out a deal.
On my '12, the one year free subscription was included on my window sticker as part of the 730N media center package (see pic). There was no separate charge for the Sirius, so I don't completely agree with you, at least not in my case.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1417368488.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	487133  
Old 08-10-2013, 04:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

WOW, too bad this thread didn't come up earlier. When my 2012 one year was about to expire, I renewed for 4 more years at full price!
Old 08-10-2013, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by E-Man
On my '12, the one year free subscription was included on my window sticker as part of the 730N media center package (see pic). There was no separate charge for the Sirius, so I don't completely agree with you, at least not in my case.
Nice...like I said most so this may not be the case for all. I don't know why but I've seen majority the way I explained before, but I only paid attention to the standard CD/AM/FM/Sirius radio as thats what I was looking for when I purchased. As stated before my point still stand though, if it is on the breakdown (whether free or fee) you would be in-titled to such service, the only other way is if something was promised by the dealership (hopefully in writing). For as much as we pay for these rigs (standard or upgraded HU) it should be included free, but thats not aways the case. Don't know about now, but when I was in the market and purchased mine, if you built your own Jeep online then the sirius was a separate charge.

The one below is small but you can see they charged 295 for this one, not mine, found this online.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WindowSticker.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	487184

Last edited by toolow262; 08-10-2013 at 06:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Sirius Subscription Question - Specifically 2012