Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.
View Poll Results: Will you be renewing your Sirius subscription?
Yes.
65.16%
No.
34.84%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Sirius Subcription up?

Old 06-17-2008, 10:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love it. We were subscribers long before we got the Rubi. When we got the free year we canceled our old subscription but plan to renew when the free one expires. We only get 6 local small town radio stations where we live in the mountains and believe me they leave a lot to be desired.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get emails from InsideRadio :

XM, Sirius shares plummet.
"Shares of both satellite radio companies dived more than 10% today after an analyst advised clients to sell on fears "core demand for satellite radio appears to be falling amongst the younger demographic" - which Goldman Sachs analyst Mark Wienkes says are lured more to MP3 players. There's also concern subscription radio will be a tough sell in a recession."

Interestingly enough, I'm older, yet part of the demographic that prefers mp3's to satellite radio (or Sirius in particular, I have more of a beef with the company than the technology). Perhaps ironically, I'm also a satellite controller. Adding to the irony of the above quote, my Sirius finally turned off as I pulled into the parking lot at work this morning. (I did continue to listen to it periodically hoping to catch it at that magic moment.. and I lucked out!)
Old 06-20-2008, 05:02 PM
JK Super Freak

I really like the SAT radio, but I am just sick of paying for stuff like this.
I made the mistake of looking at the bill's (the wife takes care of them) and I added up the cable, Sirius radio (2 cars), and cell phones. Holy CRAP!!!! it's a car payment. I'm thinking of dropping them all, it would take the edge off the gas situation.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Local stations are fine for me plus I have over a 1000 songs loaded on the hard drive for the long distance or out of reception areas. Couldn't see paying extra money when I have all the music I need.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I do like the variety. My Starmate (which gets great reception for about 30 seconds and then it's "aquiring signal") has a great option to look for favorite songs or artists. That alone keeps me moving from station to station listening to my favorite bands.

However, I'm really considering a larger capacity mp3 player instead. What I struggle with is collecting all the songs. As a semi-pro musician, I know that copying just keeps the money from the musicians. Thoughts...

Also, has anyone tried changing to a marine, or trucker-style antenna for better reception?
Old 06-30-2008, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had told myself that when the free trial was over, that I wouldn't renew. But now I find myself having withdraw symptoms.

I guess it's harder to kick the addiction than I thought.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:42 AM
JK Junkie

I'll renew, reasons listed below

1. I like the variety, I can change stations to whatever I like or in the mood for. I listen to anything from Rock, to jazz, to broadway to Sinatra to classical. I also like ESPN and when the kids are with me occasionally I'll turn on Disney.
2. I can have the same station on from home to the trail or campground
3. I can listen to games or at least get updates when way out of range of regular stations
4. While I'm not pleased with how often the signal cuts out, I do know that XM has much better repeater coverage as my wife has XM and with the Feds finally giving the thumbs up on the merger, we should see better coverage once they merge their systems. Not sure if that will benefit us with current equipment or not, but think it should as the technologies are the same, it's just the frequency that's different and that's easy enough to push through the repeaters.
5. I see a lot complaining about commercials, but most of the music channels have no commercials, so not sure what you're listening to so much that it bugs you. You have no option on regular radio where you're lucky to get 30 minutes of music and 30 minutes of commercial and mindless babling. Also keep in mind that stations like ESPN run on regular radio and are required to have commercial breaks, so they need to have them on satelite as well, otherwise it would be dead air.
6. I've lerned the names to so many songs that I didn't know before or the artists that perform them. I know some local stations send out that info via their signal now, but I've never owned a radio that showed that info before.

Never thought I would pay for Satelite radio, but after having it, I'll not turn it off. The small amount each month is not going to break me, but if it became an issue, then I'd probably turn it off, but it would be painful.

Quick Reply: Sirius Subcription up?