Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

sirius stopped receiving signal. dealer said i need a new head unit?

Old 11-16-2012, 02:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default sirius stopped receiving signal. dealer said i need a new head unit?

My Sirius stopped working all of a sudden this past week. The dealer said that they could find nothing out of place, and said I need a new head unit. Anything I could try? Or am I sol. A new stock unit is 900. If I'm shelling that much out, I'm upgrading. I have uconnect, what touch screen units will just plug in without too much messing around?
Old 11-16-2012, 03:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would try disconnecting power (aka reboot). Next I would try a new antenna before replacing the head unit.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
My Sirius stopped working all of a sudden this past week. The dealer said that they could find nothing out of place, and said I need a new head unit. Anything I could try? Or am I sol. A new stock unit is 900. If I'm shelling that much out, I'm upgrading. I have uconnect, what touch screen units will just plug in without too much messing around?
Any of them will pretty much plug right in if you pay a little extra for the PAC harness.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:44 AM
JK Junkie

getting a canbus stereo reset on monday to see if it works. the antenna check out fine...
Old 11-16-2012, 04:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the year of the Jeep? If it's prior to 2010, then you could go with the REN. The RBZ would also work. If you went with the RHB which is Navigation, then you'd need to swap out the Sirius ant to a newer model because the GPS ant is in the Sirius ant. Any of them would be a simple install.
If you go aftermarket then you'd lose the Uconnect but a lot of aftermarket radios have BT built into them. If you have steering wheel controls then you'll need an adaptor module.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the year of the Jeep? If it's prior to 2010, then you could go with the REN. The RBZ would also work. If you went with the RHB which is Navigation, then you'd need to swap out the Sirius ant to a newer model because the GPS ant is in the Sirius ant. Any of them would be a simple install.
If you go aftermarket then you'd lose the Uconnect but a lot of aftermarket radios have BT built into them. If you have steering wheel controls then you'll need an adapter module.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:14 AM
JK Junkie

its a 2011.....

The gps antenna is included in my sirius antenna?
Old 11-16-2012, 06:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you call Sirius to check whether your radio was disconnected from service? What does the display says when you try to tune a station?
Old 11-16-2012, 06:19 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a 2011.....

The gps antenna is included in my sirius antenna?
2011, I would think it would still be under warranty. Why would you have to pay anything?
Old 11-16-2012, 08:00 AM
JK Junkie

too many KMS!...

one year 70,000km....only 60k on those parts...which is dumb...

it says aquiring satillite signal on the display.

Quick Reply: sirius stopped receiving signal. dealer said i need a new head unit?