Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Sirius Satellite Poor Quality

Old 11-11-2011, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had sirius since '09 and quality is not that bad IMO, Better reception in Canada (JK)
Between my Wife and I we listen to about a dozen stations as we like a broad spectrum of music.
We love our Satellite and plan on getting another for in the house and other vehicles.
Ya it has dropped out on occasion but still beats stupid ass DJ's and crappy commercials.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:42 AM
JK Super Freak

mine cuts out anytime I pass under a shadow, but its nice to get a new set of music. My wife likes it enough that she wants a radio for her car for xmas. Personally I don't think it's worth spending the money on, but eh. It's at least nice to get music that isn't censored without having to spend the time to download it
Old 11-11-2011, 04:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have found sat radio to be a shady operation in every way. First of all, they will automatically deduct payment every time unless you go in and switch that function off, which is a PITA to do. Then, after your subscription is up and you tell them you won't be resubscribing, they turn around and offer the same thing at half price. If you take that offer (BTW why don't they just offer that price all thhe time and have more subscribers??), then they tack on all kids of royalty fees and other hidden costs. It's BS. Couple that with the shallow depth playlists and the sub par sound, and I'm about ready to quit for good. It was a good idea whose time has passed. I can dial up slacker radio or any number of free stuff on my phone.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have had XM or Sirius in my cars since 2005 and I am pretty satisfied with it. Though to be honest I pretty much only listen to Stern and maybe 2 other channels.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:55 AM
JK Newbie

I didn't renew after my trial ended.

I couldn't stand the quality of the feed.
It sounded like the music was being beamed from a soup can.

Also, in my wrangler, there was a 3-4 second delay every time I changed the channels (sometimes it would be as high as 7 or 8 seconds).

That might not seem like much, but it wore on me and became quite annoying.
The guys I work with all have Sat radio, and none of them have the MASSIVE delay when changing channels.

I couldn't stand it. Ipod + Spotify (premium) "fixed" my problem.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

Ive noticed when I first switch to satellite the audio is the suck.

Leave it on SAT for 20 mins or so and the quality gets much better.

All things considered, I still dont think its worth paying for.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

You guys are absolutely right. I did a study awhile back and analyzed the quality of the audio of Sirius and it was mostly Mono and equivalent to about a 128kbs MP3 file....but since it's mostly mono, that actually makes it equivalent to a 64kbs Mono MP3 file.

I did not renew my subscription, I only liked a couple stations and the sound quality sucked, and that's what I told the rep when they called me to renew.

FYI....the reason the sound quality sucks is that the more stations they try to add, the more they have to limit the bit rate for each station. They're directly proportionate. So if they add more content to appeal to a wider audience, the quality is affected negatively. If they reduced the number of available stations, then they could make it CD quality.

The one thing I do like about Sirius is their data services which is separate from their radio services. So you can get real time traffic information, Sports scores, gas prices..etc. I'm sure with those services added, that probably makes the audio take another drop in quality though.

I'll have to dig around and see if I can find my data of when I did my study and post it, where I can show you how Sirius audio quality compares to CD quality. Put it this way....FM radio audio quality is much closer to CD quality than Sirius is. The only good thing I find about Sirius radio is that you don't have to keep changing stations when traveling long distances

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-11-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Yeah where else can you get "great" commercial free programming like the Oprah and Ellen DeGeneres channels?? :(

What next, 24 hour Rachel Maddow?? :(
Old 11-12-2011, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've found that XM branded radios were better. Ever since getting the jeep with Sirius it drops out under every overpass.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, the sound quality sucks. Big time. I cancelled both my Sirius radios 2 months ago, and when asked why I told them their broadcast quality is garbage. They didn't argue, but did try to get me to buy a new radio at a big discount!!?? A 2GB iPOD is $50 up here at Future shop. Money better spent as far as I'm concerned.

Quick Reply: Sirius Satellite Poor Quality