Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Sirius Satellite Poor Quality

Old 11-10-2011, 05:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius Satellite Poor Quality

Haven't listened to SSR in a while, but IMHO the quality sucks. Is this just do to monoaural broadcast or over-compression? Does not compare to CD quality or MP3. Why would anyone pay for this garbage?
Old 11-10-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally someone else agrees. What a huge disappointment
Old 11-10-2011, 06:35 PM
JK Super Freak

I agree. I like the concept but mine often cuts out. At first I thought it must be my Jeep but the same thing has happened with rentals equipped with Sirius.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vulcan classic
Haven't listened to SSR in a while, but IMHO the quality sucks. Is this just do to monoaural broadcast or over-compression? Does not compare to CD quality or MP3. Why would anyone pay for this garbage?
It's the compression. Sounds like early Internet radio. Crap basically. IIRC the different radio modes have their own bass/mid/treble settings. Made a big difference once I realized that and boosted the bass and treble to max.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:52 PM
JK Freak

Ive had the sportster 5 for 2-3 years now, pretty much when it first came out and have had no issues with sound or signal.

In this pic, i have my antenna routed out through my hood vents and it sits in the center part.

Last edited by dgnr8; 11-10-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Same here. Not impressed by signal quality or even the content. In the end of the trial I was listening to two or three stations, max.
Signal dropped for just driving under a bridge or hwy overpass. Same as in rentals.
Really not worth the money. I am saving and spending on mods. ;-)
Old 11-11-2011, 03:52 AM
JK Freak

I could live with the occasional drop-outs, but the lousy sound quality is unacceptable, it's 2012, with HDTV and radio quality you'd think the minimum standard would be at least 48.1kHZ CD audio quality and true stereo separation. I'll be pulling the stock head unit. since I didn't order the Connectivity Group option and can't even interface my iphone/ipad app digitally other than using an analog AUX cable laying across the center console.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:28 AM
JK Newbie

I've had Sirius in my 2006 KJ since purchase, and haven't had any trouble with signal where I drive (Ohio and PA). The sound quality is ok on most channels, but not great, similar to a 96 or 128Kbps MP3 to my ears. Some of the channels (less popular ones?) seem to have much worse quality though.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont have any problems with signal loss.. but yeah i agree... the bit rate sucks.. should be at least 44.1k CD quality.. i can tell different stations have different quality... Howard sterns channel seem to have the best.. i guess they figure most people are listening to his stations.. would be nice to have a few high quality music channels...
Old 11-11-2011, 04:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same problems as most of you, signal drops out all the time. My wife’s new Explorer is not as bad but does occasionally loose signal. Have ya'll given this feedback to Sirius?

Quick Reply: Sirius Satellite Poor Quality