Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Sirius Radio Scam or Dealer Scam?

Old 11-28-2011, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius Radio Scam or Dealer Scam?

I purchased my 2011 JKU Rubi last August when the APR for 60 months was 0%, and got a great deal as well. When I went to call Sirius Radio about the 1 free year of Sirius Radio advertised I was told that the Sirius Radio was turned on at the dealership in February as all new cars are when delivered so test-riders can try out the Sat radio, since I bought in August there was only 6months left on the Sirius Radio "free" year.
I spoke with the dealer GM and he said he'd look into it but, of course I haven't heard anything from Sirius or the dealership.

Who'd I get scammed by? SIRIUS OR DEALERSHIP?
Old 11-28-2011, 06:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my 09 Jeep in Febuary of 2010 and it came with the 1 year subscription, and actually got a full year. i would think this is an issue with the dealership activating it before they should have or not sending the one year subscription to sirius when you bought the Jeep.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

I ordered a 2011 Sport that I received March 3rd. I asked the dealer if I had to do anything to activate the Sirius radio and he said I was all set. Two months later it stopped working. I call Sirius and they tell me that the three month trial has expired and they are willing to help me start an account. I explain to them that first, it has only been two months and the vehicle wasn't even built yet three months ago and second, I paid for a full year of service because I am required to in order to get the satellite radio. They said that was between me and the dealer.

I call the dealer and they bounce me around between the sales guy and the service guy until the sales guys says he will look into and get it straightened out, which he does in fairly short order.

I would suggest that Sirius is not going to help you at all. Hopefully the sales guy can get you taken care of. Your sticker indicates that you paid for a year of service. If the dealership wants it activated so people can play with it during the test drive then that should be on their dime, not yours.

Good luck!
Old 11-28-2011, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my new '11 in Sep. and was curious about the same thing. Mine still works fine,
but one day it may shut off. Post what your results are, if you get any results.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got my 2011 in Aug and the Sirius was already running.
Just to check, I signed up for an account with Sirius and gave them the radio info.
They show that the account is good until Aug 2012, so I'm all set.

Sounds like it's a dealer issue, activating too early.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:42 AM
CDK
JK Newbie

I had the same issue and spent some time on the phone with Sirius and they finally changed mine to one year from the vehicle purchase date I explained that the jeep offer was for one year free to the customer, not the dealer.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Sirius subscription ended about two months after I picked up the Jeep. I called Chrysler at 800-992-1997, and a very nice customer service rep put me on hold for a few minutes while she called Sirius to work it out. My subscription was extended for one full year from the day I called Chryser.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mvymr
My Sirius subscription ended about two months after I picked up the Jeep. I called Chrysler at 800-992-1997, and a very nice customer service rep put me on hold for a few minutes while she called Sirius to work it out. My subscription was extended for one full year from the day I called Chryser.
Thanks, this seems like what I will try next.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

the one year subscription is not supposed to start until the inservice date... (date of purchase)
Old 11-29-2011, 01:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Same thing happened to a friend of mine. He called sirius and they credited him for the missing months.

Quick Reply: Sirius Radio Scam or Dealer Scam?