Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

SIRIUS "Freezing" on a REQ Radio?

Old 11-14-2009, 07:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIRIUS "Freezing" on a REQ Radio?

Have been noticing a rather weird thing lately - the last week or so. I usually have my SIRIUS on "Hair Nation" - Channel 23 or "80s on 8" - Channel 8, with the volume around 16 or 17. Lately, I noticed that when I get into the vehicle and start it up, there's no sound, but the REQ displays the Channel name; if I try to raise the volume, it will not go any further than where it was at last - for example, 17. It will, however, decrease when I try to lower the volume - 16, 15... Still, no sound. Only way I can get around this seems to be to either change the channel, or to just go to AM/FM and then back to SIRIUS and then the volume starts working fine again. Anyone else noticed this issue????

Only seems to happen after the JK has been parked for a few hours or so. Once it starts working, it works fine till the next time it acts up again.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
Have been noticing a rather weird thing lately - the last week or so. I usually have my SIRIUS on "Hair Nation" - Channel 23 or "80s on 8" - Channel 8, with the volume around 16 or 17. Lately, I noticed that when I get into the vehicle and start it up, there's no sound, but the REQ displays the Channel name; if I try to raise the volume, it will not go any further than where it was at last - for example, 17. It will, however, decrease when I try to lower the volume - 16, 15... Still, no sound. Only way I can get around this seems to be to either change the channel, or to just go to AM/FM and then back to SIRIUS and then the volume starts working fine again. Anyone else noticed this issue????

Only seems to happen after the JK has been parked for a few hours or so. Once it starts working, it works fine till the next time it acts up again.
I have an RER Have not had any trouble like that, I have had it take longer to find the signal, when I leave the garage I have no channel displayed and cannot control the volume till the signal comes up, most of the time 10-15 seconds in the last week it’s been taking sometimes a minute or more. May have to try the old stand by and disconnect the battery or pull the IOD fuse for a bit and see if this helps.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Jedi

I know on my wife's Fusion, sometimes when SIRIUS does an update or something, it takes it a little longer, but never noticed that on the JK. I can see the no channel displayed when you have it parked in a garage or under an awning because of no signal; but in my case, it's almost always parked outside on the driveway or at the parking at work under open skies. What's funny is that this only happens when I turn the vehicle off with the radio on SIRIUS; if I was listening to FM or a CD when the JK was turned off, there's no problems whatsoever. Weird
Old 11-14-2009, 10:55 AM
JK Junkie

Same problem here, no explanation...
Old 11-14-2009, 11:35 AM
JK Super Freak

If I remember, there was a TSB about this problem...
Old 11-14-2009, 01:48 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by 08RubiUnlimited
If I remember, there was a TSB about this problem...
Question is, the REQ I have didn't come on it from the Factory but was one that I bought off a member here and installed. Would a TSB still cover that?
Old 11-15-2009, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine did it too. I thought it was due to me parking in my garage and I cannot instantly get a signal when I first start my jeep. My Garmin acts similar.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Sirius will occasionally send updates to subsrcribed radios for new channel lists etc. This usually causes some pauses or weird behaviour. Usually if you drive around long enough it gets sorted out. It used to happened with a Panasonic head unit I had as well as a standalone Sirius unit.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:05 PM
JK Super Freak

I found the TSB:

http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_0800808.pdf

If it's under warranty still, they should cover it and do the flash. If not, then you'll have to pay the appropriate labor rate for the repair. Sounds like it's a flash of new software on to the radio.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:57 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
Sirius will occasionally send updates to subsrcribed radios for new channel lists etc. This usually causes some pauses or weird behaviour. Usually if you drive around long enough it gets sorted out. It used to happened with a Panasonic head unit I had as well as a standalone Sirius unit.
That's kinda what I thought at first too but when it does it everytime I park the JK, it seems rather odd that they'd do that many updates.

Originally Posted by 08RubiUnlimited
I found the TSB:

http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_0800808.pdf

If it's under warranty still, they should cover it and do the flash. If not, then you'll have to pay the appropriate labor rate for the repair. Sounds like it's a flash of new software on to the radio.
Thanks for the TSB link - the description there seems to be exactly what I've been encountering; now here's the catch. The TSB indicates 2008 JKs, which the REQ radio DID come off of a 2008 JK if I remember right, but my JK is a 2007 and not one that's affected by the TSB according to the model years of the vehicle listed. Wonder how the warranty or TSB would relate to that?

Quick Reply: SIRIUS "Freezing" on a REQ Radio?