Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Sirius in Europe

Old 09-27-2009, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius in Europe

Guys,

I have shipped my Jeep to the UK and I was wondering whether I should be able to receive Sirius Satellite radio here?

I know that Sirius doesn't advertise it but that doesn't necessarilly have to mean I can't receive it. Any info would be much appreciated.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

It is my understanding that the satellites orbit in a figure 8 pattern, mostly over north America. I do not think it will work across the pond. Sorry. If you have the premium subscription, you could listen over the internet. Not much of a consolation though.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

You can also get it on your iphone.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

How can I get it on my iPhone?
Old 09-29-2009, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

The iPhone application is available from the SiriusXM website. The application comes with a complimentary 7 day trial subscription and then requires a Premium Internet subscription on your account after the trial. Also note, there are 120+ channels from both services available on the Internet account / iPhone application but some specific channels are not available (Howard Stern as an example).

Hope this helps.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

hey! good call on the iphone app... didn't know that and I'll be trying it...
Old 09-29-2009, 03:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by j33per
Guys,

I have shipped my Jeep to the UK and I was wondering whether I should be able to receive Sirius Satellite radio here?

I know that Sirius doesn't advertise it but that doesn't necessarilly have to mean I can't receive it. Any info would be much appreciated.
I asked XM this b/f they became Sirius as I was going to take a portable unit over to England one time when I traveled there. They said no, that the satellites are positioned to work for the U.S. area only. That was about 1.5 yrs ago, so I don't know if that has changed. Do you guys not have any type of Satellite Radio over there???
Old 09-29-2009, 04:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

I did a google search for "Sirius coverage map", and all that came up showed coverage for North America only.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

I'm actually surprised that Sirius/XM or etc. haven't secured satellite coverage for Europe and/or other countries. It seems that the best way to build is to expand??? Maybe they can't get agreements with those countries to use their satellites??
Old 09-30-2009, 12:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JstJk
I asked XM this b/f they became Sirius as I was going to take a portable unit over to England one time when I traveled there. They said no, that the satellites are positioned to work for the U.S. area only. That was about 1.5 yrs ago, so I don't know if that has changed. Do you guys not have any type of Satellite Radio over there???
No, not that I'm aware of. I was wondering whether they only state the US as being able to receive their service because of licensing issues. I will try the free seven day offer to check whether my JK's radio is indeed not able to receive a signal. My JK's radio FM won't work for certain so if Sirius definitely doesn't work either, I'm going to have to invest in a new, UK compatible one or just be happy with playing my iPod...

As for Sirius and the iPhone... the app isn't available in the UK iTunes Store. There's only one thing for it and that's moving to the US...

Quick Reply: Sirius in Europe