Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Sirius Antenna - Hardtop - Roof Rack

Old 01-13-2010, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an antenna that was meant for the air dam on a semi truck. I mounted it with an L bracket where the roof rack mounted to the support bar.

It was the old style with the green and white plugs and it needed an adapter between the ant and my sat box.

I just sold my TJ and took everything off, but i havent decided if im selling the radio/sat/antenna

heres a pic

heres something similar.
Mods, feel free to delete if t\posting this link is against the rules

http://www.tss-radio.com/interoperab...na-p-6249.html

Last edited by Toro34; 01-13-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you pop off the panel on the side of the dash next to the AC vent where the door closes, you will see a small hole filled with foam. Use a coat hanger, tape the antenna wire to it and poke it through.

That's where all my wires poke through the firewall, it's the best little secret I ever learned from this forum.

Then the antenna I just put on my hood. Don't even notice it anymore.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:35 AM
JK Super Freak

I just relocated mine yesterday.
I bought an antenna extention and just routed it forward under the roll bar padding to the corner just right of where the passenger visor pivots.
I like that it is still inside the pad and is out of sight, but now works great since it is out from under my roof rack.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking into rerouting my antenna. I've got an '09 with the mygig nav system. I've noticed in the pictures from some of the posts that it is a different connection than the minicoax that most of the antennas use.

Does anyone know if the minicoax will plug into the mygig system or if I have to use the one that is specifically designed and sold for the mygig?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:54 PM
JK Freak

After installing my Gobi Rack my sirius reception went to sh*t as well. I located the OEM antenna under the roll bar cover on the passenger side. I've tried removing the antenna. It moves a little but I don't want to break it. Anyone know how to get the antenna off? I cant see what wire runs to it so I figured once the antenna is off I will see what wire runs up to it then can race it back and relocate the OEM antenna instead of having to buy a new one or extend it.

Hope someone can help...also I found this thread after doing a search and it seems that this was one of the more recent threads but still no answer.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

On my Unlimited: open rear passenger door, undo the Velcro for the sound bar cover, gently pull the plastic trim back and it's the bright yellow connector. Push the top tab in on the upper part and gently lift.

I bought a Sirius mag-mount antenna this afternoon - stuck it onto the roof rack plugged it into the bottom part of the yellow plug (needs a firm push) and now it's better than before I got the rack!

Old 09-18-2010, 02:14 PM
JK Newbie

Default GOBI rack and XM antenna

Hi, I also got the GOBI roof rack . Great product from Paul in Commerce city. I also got the brackets for the HI-LIFT jack , shovel, and AXE. This is a nice rack and am using it more and more. The problem that I have had since install is terrible terrible XM reception. I really did not care about the XM when I got the jeep, but it is pretty cool to have sometimes. With the cut-outs so frequent you can not turn volume up or follow news reports so I resort to Hard drive or FM radio. I did find that if I move the front rack component to the rear when not in use my signal is a lot more solid. Nonetheless, a fix is definitely needed. Where is the antenna mounted? I found the yellow connector . It seems I should tap into the radio and route an antenna external on the cowl. Any pictures anyone?

Thanks.

Last edited by RRobb; 09-18-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Default Antenna Mounted. Problem Solved

I was surprised to see my post come back up today. Here's what I ultimately did. After digging around for the antenna connection above the passenger side roll bar, it became obvious that I would have to remove the hard top to solve the problem if I was going to be able to solve it at all. I was in the market for a soft top anyone so I killed a couple of birds with one stone and made a morning of it.

After tilting my Gobi Rack back, I had a buddy of mine help me get the hard top off. With the Rack still tilted I was able to locate the antenna connector on top of the roll cage. On my Jeep it wasn't right on top by the pillar, it was way back on the roll cage over the rear passengers seating. There was no way in the world I was going to find this thing with the top off so if anyone else is having a similar problem, look back there. It's there and you'll find it eventually.

I had already decided from the other post that I would mount the Sirius antenna on the hood right in front of the cowl panel. I ran the antenna wire through the "hole" on the passenger side of the vehicle just inside the door behind the dash. There are a couple of different threads on foam filled hole. It's a bigger pain in the ass than you think it is but I'm all about a clean install so I was able to use a long piece of stiff wire and fish it through the hole, tape it to the antenna wire and gently....gently ease it through. Be patient with this part and make sure you remove enough foam to get the wire through without damaging it or the connector. Again...patience here. It's worth the clean install.

After that it was just routing of the wire up to the connector and POOF....great satellite reception again.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

what antenna are people using on the cowl?

I tried to install a low profile Sirius magnetic antenna this evening, but the plug didn't fit in the back of the OEM unit. It was just a hare to large in diameter.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKjeepguy
You have to push hard to get it to work. The tip of the sirius antenna to be installed is metal and the plug it needs to plug into is plastic - just push hard and the plastic plug will give enough to allow the antenna to be pluged into the plastic adapter.
I don't see it happening. I ordered a SMB to FAKRA adapter. Hopefully that solves the problem.

D

Quick Reply: Sirius Antenna - Hardtop - Roof Rack