Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Sirius Antenna - Hardtop - Roof Rack

Old 12-01-2009, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius Antenna - Hardtop - Roof Rack

Hello everyone. Searched the million threads on this and know how to solve my reception problem by relocating the Sirius antenna. I'm all over that.

What I'd like to know is WHERE most people have put it? The cowl and the hood seem to be the most common spots. Anyone mount in on their roof rack? windshield area? the roof rack itself? how about the front or rear bumpers or near or on one of the tail lights?

I'd like to see pics of what all has been done if anyone has them. I've even got a spot on my spare tire holder for a CB antenna that I might be able to mod and put it there. Just looking for ideas that work and that make for a clean install. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2009, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first got the Jeep I had it centered above the windshield. Since then, I've re-located it under the roll bar padding back by the soundbar, completely hidden. Works great with the hardtop or softop.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine is on the roll bar as well. No problem with reception and its easy to run the wires to the unit.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:27 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I need to take a second and clarify my question. I currently have Sirius with the satellilte antenna mounted on the rollbar as per OEM install. I also have a hardtop. I recently installed a Gobi Roof Rack and needless to say, my reception now sucks. As such, I'm relocating the antenna as per the numerous threads on the topic. More than anything, I'm just looking to see where all folks have mounted this besided the obvious cowl and hood. Pics are worth a thousand words to me so if you have them or can take them quickly and post them , it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2009, 03:08 AM
JK Newbie

I have my mounted on the cowl
Old 12-02-2009, 04:15 PM
JK Newbie

Mine is on the cowl as well, along with my alpine nav antenna. No reception problems other than the expected ones, like when I'm under a really big highway ramp.

Hope the pic works (my 1st time trying):
Old 12-02-2009, 04:37 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the pic. Here's another quick question. Is there a spot on the firewall where you can get the antenna wire through and drop in under the carpet along the door sills and up the frame to the plug in. It's been raining and cold here the last day or so which makes it difficult for me to do anything.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:47 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry, I can't help w/ the routing of the wire - I didn't do the install myself. I'm sure someone on this board has done it & can give you an answer.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am one of the unfortunate ones with a roll bar mounted antenna that cuts out, so I have looking for alternative locations that are not too cumbersome to wire.
It also needs to be a place that is fixed when the top is removed and has good visibility of the sky.

About the only simple places that I could find that met these requirements were on the cowl or the windshield, but for some reason I am always banging my windshield mounted lights, which made change my mind.

When I replace my spare with a full size one in the next week or two, I am changing the 3rd brake light , using that spot for a mount for the Sirius antenna. I am going to start just above the spare and lengthen a custom bracket (also known as bent sheet metal strip) if I have reception problems.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wallstreetdude68
Thanks for the pic. Here's another quick question. Is there a spot on the firewall where you can get the antenna wire through and drop in under the carpet along the door sills and up the frame to the plug in. It's been raining and cold here the last day or so which makes it difficult for me to do anything.
I mounted mine on the passenger side of the cowl and ran the wire in the seam towards the door and popped the side panel off the dash and then to the radio.
I'll get you some pics if you need them.

Quick Reply: Sirius Antenna - Hardtop - Roof Rack