Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Simple hoop with triple HID's for less than $400

Old 02-22-2009, 11:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OOOOO I'm jealous as Hell ! Great job!
Old 02-22-2009, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks really nice. I had looked at those same lights for my shrockworks bumper tabs, but they were too large, and the bolts too long to work in my application... Again, looks really good, nice work!
Old 02-22-2009, 03:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That night shot really shows how shitty the stock headlights are.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RubiJK
Have you compared these lights to any others? I know not many guys run the HID aux lights like these just because of the costs... But have you compared to any of the traditional halogen 100w and/or 130w in similar sizes?
I have not done a side by side comparison -- next time I'm out at night with someone that has some halogens I'll let you know.

It can be a little hard to do a comparison like this, since color temp and brightness can interfere with each other when just eyeballing it. These definitely seem cooler (bluer) than most halogens I've seen.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Covert_Ops
Looks really nice. I had looked at those same lights for my shrockworks bumper tabs, but they were too large, and the bolts too long to work in my application... Again, looks really good, nice work!
Oh yeah I forgot to mention the bolts on the lights are long as hell -- I had to cut probably an inch off each one, then I pained the remaining length of bolt and the nut black so they wouldn't stand out so much.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the instructions tell you how to wire them up? I saw you used a 30a relay... Do you have pics of how you mounted and wired it up? I am really intrigued by these lights.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Do the instructions tell you how to wire them up? I saw you used a 30a relay... Do you have pics of how you mounted and wired it up? I am really intrigued by these lights.
x2
great price on these.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have seen these lights in person and they are really nice. You get that tire put back on the rim yet?
Old 02-24-2009, 11:46 PM
JK Super Freak

The instructions sort of tell you how to wire one light, and each one comes with a fuse and some leads, but no switch or relay. Unfortunately I don't have pics or other diagrams of how I did the wiring because it was dark out by the time I got to it. I can snap some of the finished job, but I'm not sure how helpful it will be in recreating it.

Personally I would always use a relay for something like this -- it seems a little safer and lets you use shorter runs of heavier gauge wire. There are plenty of diagrams out there for how to wire relays (google "relay wiring"). They have four or sometimes five pins, all of them are cryptically but consistently numbered "30, 85, 86, and 87" so you can just follow the numbers on the widely available diagrams.

The lights should be wired in parallel from the high-current side of the relay, and remember to put a fuse in between the battery and the relay itself.

Hope that's marginally helpful -- it's really not too bad if you think it through first.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:07 AM
JK Newbie

Definite props on the lights. And I really like your bumper too. Im guessing its home made considering I haven't seen anything like it, but it looks professionally done for sure. Great work.

Quick Reply: Simple hoop with triple HID's for less than $400