Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Sidemarker mod and Bushwacker LED indicators

Old 08-15-2011, 04:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sidemarker mod and Bushwacker LED indicators

Hey guys,

The sidemarker mod was one of the first mods I did to my Jeep, and I liked it a lot. I believe it basically works by combining the ground on the fender signal indicator to the ground on the front running light/signal indicator. Now the fender flare indicators light up when the front running lights are on providing additional protection at night from other drivers.

However, I put on the Bushwacker flat fender flares that have the LED indicators, and they don't turn on when the lights are on. It's a bit weird because the turn signals function ok - they just don't light up when I turn the lights on.

I'm going to go back and check voltages later, but I wanted to see if anyone has already run into this and fixed it

Thanks!

Micah
Old 08-15-2011, 04:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes l.e.d's will not read correct. You may need a relay of some sort
Old 08-15-2011, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I remember reading somewhere, maybe the original marker light write up, that the way it works is by using the filament in the marker light as the ground. Or something strange like that. Since you are now using LEDs, which have extremely low internal resistance, then it no longer acts as a grounding source. I wouldn't quote me on the specifics, but I would take another look at the original write-up. I believe there were some links in there that showed some schematics and explained how it worked.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had problems also with my Bushwacker flares.
I put the wiring back to original, so the side markers light up with the headlights/park lights.
I read on this forum it requires an adaptor to allow the LED's to function with the rest of the system.
They are available online.....don't happen to have a link.. ..I'll try to find and post.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:54 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by texwillys
I had problems also with my Bushwacker flares.
I put the wiring back to original, so the side markers light up with the headlights/park lights.
I read on this forum it requires an adaptor to allow the LED's to function with the rest of the system.
They are available online.....don't happen to have a link.. ..I'll try to find and post.
Thanks! I was starting to think it would take some more significant wiring. I'll wait to see what you find first.

Micah
Old 08-16-2011, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

Not much help, but I can confirm that the change in wiring uses the bulb filament as the ground. Since LED's do NOT have the same filament, it won't work as designed with a regular bulb. There is most likely nothing wrong with your wiring.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by burbingus
Thanks! I was starting to think it would take some more significant wiring. I'll wait to see what you find first.

Micah

Take a look here at the resistors.......

http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm

I would contact these folks first to make sure this is what is needed.

I gotta fix mine too!
Old 08-16-2011, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Default Hmmmm....

I just installed my fenders last weekend and had the exact same problem with the marker lights not functioning.

REVERSE YOUR CONNECTIONS AND TEST AGAIN.

For some F&#@ed up reason the bushwakers LEDs wires don't match the color code of what your pulling off, white to black and black to white WTF?

Anyways it worked.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mnm327
I just installed my fenders last weekend and had the exact same problem with the marker lights not functioning.

REVERSE YOUR CONNECTIONS AND TEST AGAIN.

For some F&#@ed up reason the bushwakers LEDs wires don't match the color code of what your pulling off, white to black and black to white WTF?

Anyways it worked.
I did this and my market light woks but are you talking about getting it to work as a turn signal as well? If so I'm so on that.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:13 AM
JK Newbie

Did anybody ever get this to work? As in the bushwacker LED's working as blinkers?

Quick Reply: Sidemarker mod and Bushwacker LED indicators