Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Show me your subwoofers

Old 02-21-2010 | 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoridinTX
Wow jread14, that is a neat custom enclosure. Did you do that Where did you get your Hertz speakers I don't have a vendor for them down here, at least none that I can audition.
Thanks guys... I actually did not build this one. I have done a ton of custom enclosures in the past, but I just dont have time anymore. The owner of the shop I have always uesd to purchase my equipment and I got together and shot ideas off of each other until we came up with this. I was there during the design and the pre glass stage but then he took over from there. He did a great job on everything. I still dont see how he gets that suede to stretch the way he does. It would of looked like $h!t if I would have tried to wraped this one.

I got the Hertz stuff at Auto Sound in Denton, TX. Larry is a great guy and has been good to me for the last 12 or 13 years. I was actually really torn between the Morel or the Hertz, but I just had to tell myself that this is a jeep. Morel is what I have ran the last couple of years, but I just couldnt justify the extra money on a jeep install when the Hertz where that close is SQ.

Last edited by jread14; 02-21-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-21-2010 | 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jread14
Thanks guys... I actually did not build this one. I have done a ton of custom enclosures in the past, but I just dont have time anymore. The owner of the shop I have always uesd to purchase my equipment and I got together and shot ideas off of each other until we came up with this. I was there during the design and the pre glass stage but then he took over from there. He did a great job on everything. I still dont see how he gets that suede to stretch the way he does. It would of looked like $h!t if I would have tried to wraped this one.

I got the Hertz stuff at Auto Sound in Denton, TX. Larry is a great guy and has been good to me for the last 12 or 13 years. I was actually really torn between the Morel or the Hertz, but I just had to tell myself that this is a jeep. Morel is what I have ran the last couple of years, but I just couldnt justify the extra money on a jeep install when the Hertz where that close is SQ.
They did a great job, thanks for the information. I'll have to visit SLC and while up there stop by Auto Sound to audition some speakers. Now I just need to plant another money tree.
Old 02-21-2010 | 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MoridinTX
They did a great job, thanks for the information. I'll have to visit SLC and while up there stop by Auto Sound to audition some speakers. Now I just need to plant another money tree.
Talk to Sean at SLC... Those guys are unreal, and the Hemi conversions they do are sick! I would need a whole orchard of those money trees to get that done!

Larry will take care of you at AS. Just tell him Jason Read sent you.
Old 02-22-2010 | 06:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

jread14,

VERY VERY VERY nice! I thought I was the only guy on the forum who'd even HEARD of Hertz. They're what I plan on throwing in my JK. How do you like the sound? I'm extremely jealous. One question though, why the 3Sixty?
Old 02-22-2010 | 08:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Skippman
jread14,

VERY VERY VERY nice! I thought I was the only guy on the forum who'd even HEARD of Hertz. They're what I plan on throwing in my JK. How do you like the sound? I'm extremely jealous. One question though, why the 3Sixty?
Thanks Skippman! I had never heard of them either, but the owner of this shop told me you have to listen to this new brand I am carrying. I am a big Morel fan and he new this because he has installed them for me in the past. Therefore if he said they warant listening to I figured I should listen. Much to my surprise the SQ was amazing considering they are more of a budget componenet and coaxial set. The 3Sixty is a long story. I wanted a glorified line out converter and thought he was going to install a clean sweap. However, I got there and he showed me the 3Sixty and said that he has had great luck with it and liked the tuning capabilities of it more than the clean sweap. I told him just make it sound good and I will be back later. Why? Any good or bad news about the 3Sixty?
Old 02-23-2010 | 07:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know about good or bad news on it, but I know most of the big name installers frown upon them. Having looked at the IASCA and USAC circuits I was always suprised at how little DSP I saw. At most you'd see someone with an analog EQ vs something like say an Alpine PXA-H510.

I know the CleanSweep gets a lot of bad press in mags like Car Audio and MECP's publications. It's a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist. the 3Sixty gets better press but it's still trying to fix a problem that shouldn't exist. The 3Sixty is designed to install in line AFTER the factory amp. When you remove the factory amp, it's not really required anymore. At least that's what I've been told by the installers I've talked to. About the only DSP that got a lot of good press and gets respect from the big boys is the Audessy BitOne which isn't suprising given how much positive press Audessy has received in the home theater market.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't think I'm picking your system appart! I'm not. I was just curious as to if it was your decision to use it, or that of your installer. I'm sure your system sounds amazing and you've got excellent ears. Morels are not something you find just anywhere. Being a speaker junkie I give mad respect to people who know what sound they like. Home speakers, I'm a KEF man. Car audio, I'm a Hertz guy. The problem is the brands are so niche most people assume that they're some knock off no name brand like Craig or Jensen when nothing could be further from the truth.

I am INSAINELY jealous and need to stop spending money on other parts and get my system put in. I miss midrange.
Old 02-23-2010 | 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Skippman
I don't know about good or bad news on it, but I know most of the big name installers frown upon them. Having looked at the IASCA and USAC circuits I was always suprised at how little DSP I saw. At most you'd see someone with an analog EQ vs something like say an Alpine PXA-H510.

I know the CleanSweep gets a lot of bad press in mags like Car Audio and MECP's publications. It's a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist. the 3Sixty gets better press but it's still trying to fix a problem that shouldn't exist. The 3Sixty is designed to install in line AFTER the factory amp. When you remove the factory amp, it's not really required anymore. At least that's what I've been told by the installers I've talked to. About the only DSP that got a lot of good press and gets respect from the big boys is the Audessy BitOne which isn't suprising given how much positive press Audessy has received in the home theater market.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't think I'm picking your system appart! I'm not. I was just curious as to if it was your decision to use it, or that of your installer. I'm sure your system sounds amazing and you've got excellent ears. Morels are not something you find just anywhere. Being a speaker junkie I give mad respect to people who know what sound they like. Home speakers, I'm a KEF man. Car audio, I'm a Hertz guy. The problem is the brands are so niche most people assume that they're some knock off no name brand like Craig or Jensen when nothing could be further from the truth.

I am INSAINELY jealous and need to stop spending money on other parts and get my system put in. I miss midrange.
No offense or criticism taken on my part in any way.

That is why I took it straight from SLC to Auto Sound or I would have found something different to spend the money on. lol!!!!

Home audio...... Man, that is a whole new can of worms.... I am a Martin Logan kind of guy and all I can say is "if my wife only knew"......

Thanks again for your comments and all the great info....
Old 02-23-2010 | 02:38 PM
JK Freak

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread but everyone is listing their subs. I just bought a MTX X Thunderlink Sub/Amp. I'm using that to replace the Factory Infinity Sub.
Can someone who has installed one give me some advice? How did you hook it up? Did you use the factory wiring? Any tips?
Old 02-24-2010 | 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Christine
I don't mean to hi-jack the thread but everyone is listing their subs. I just bought a MTX X Thunderlink Sub/Amp. I'm using that to replace the Factory Infinity Sub.
Can someone who has installed one give me some advice? How did you hook it up? Did you use the factory wiring? Any tips?
There are a ton of ways to answer this question. If you are asking, can you use te factory wirring to get power to the amp, the answer is no. The factory amp is under the steering wheel. Drop you a power wire from the battery to the sub/amp with some sort of fuse block between. Then run you a ground and a remote turn on. That will give u power. Now you have to dig into the wiring on the factory amp and figure out which one is the sub wiring. Once you have found them then check for pos/neg. Then hook your speaker wire to them and run back to sub. Then rock it... If you dont understand how to do any of this then spend $100 and have an installer do it. Good luck!

Last edited by jread14; 02-24-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-24-2010 | 01:54 PM
JK Freak

Thanks so much

Quick Reply: Show me your subwoofers