Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Should I get Mygig?

Old 02-02-2008, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

got it, love it.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:01 AM
JK Newbie

Default Don't have and don't want

My opinion...
I'd wait for a 3rd party solution that provides better integration and experience w/other infotainment devices (home computer, portable video/music devices, trip planning, etc)

I live and breath the digital lifestyle. The car infotainment is one of those areas of interest to me. So, I have strong opinions about how it all should work separately and together (infotainment devices and software from the home to the car). I believe, and push the designers of such devices, to make it simple, seamless and part of my digital home experience

If you compare the features and user experience of MyGig to other manufacturer's you'd see it is like comparing the internet experience of the 1990s to today. It is better than the radio in my old Honda? Yes. Does it represent the best experience that can be generated w/today's technology? Heck no. It is a clumsy broken experience, especially when compared to other options

I wish CC offered something similar to Ford's Sync.
It (out of the box) integrates w/your bluetooth phone and has a USB port for your Zune or iPod. And hey, you don't have to rip your CDs to your headunit. When you connect your Zune/iPOD it auto reads your content. That is pretty fricken cool. I only have to manage one library and can use it in multiple places. Today, my zune music is piped around my house via Xbox360 extenders and would love to just use the same library in my car (note: I do understand MyGig/stock radio has an audio jack for your iPod, but that just creates two separate media experiences in the car. lame). All can be controlled manually or via voice. It can also read you txt/emails sent to your phone. You can also tell it what songs to play.

You also don't have to spend a lot of $ on a specific car to get it. right now it is in the Focus and they plan to offer it in all their vehicles

I wish I did want it and I hope that CC can actually make some truly innovating moves here. But in the mean time don't spend your $ on outmoded technology

FYI-Landrover and BMW will more than likely go the Sync route (but probably w/Apple solutions)
Old 02-02-2008, 07:48 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do a lot better for the money. The main reason to get mygig is to have the factory look it provides. Other than that, you can get a better nav unit for less money (Garmin has a huge selection) and most iPods will hold more music than the myGig will.

Personally, I use my Treo 755p with Tom Tom software and a bluetooth GPSr. I also have a Garmin CSx with the 24k and 100k topo maps for the trails. For music, I use my iPod. I owned all this stuff before I bought the Jeep so, for me, MyGig was a waste. But like I said, even if you start with nothing, you could get an iPod and a nice nav system for under $1000 combined.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:15 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by doojer
You can do a lot better for the money. The main reason to get mygig is to have the factory look it provides. Other than that, you can get a better nav unit for less money (Garmin has a huge selection) and most iPods will hold more music than the myGig will.

Personally, I use my Treo 755p with Tom Tom software and a bluetooth GPSr. I also have a Garmin CSx with the 24k and 100k topo maps for the trails. For music, I use my iPod. I owned all this stuff before I bought the Jeep so, for me, MyGig was a waste. But like I said, even if you start with nothing, you could get an iPod and a nice nav system for under $1000 combined.

How do you like the nav with the treo?? I was reallllly looking to go this route, but I heard the recalculation was very slow.

And I agree. There's a lot more you can do with the money. The Mygig is a great little unit, but not worth the extra thousand. While I agree that you can get it to be amazing with a Third Party application, I don't think that you should have to go this route. Plus, I'm sure after you guy that third party piece, your warranty on it will be void.

Also, i'm concerned about the entire hard drive thing. I'm assuming the HD is not a Solid state drive (or it would be a LOT more expensive) and in a vehicle that rides as rough as the jeep, I feel like those HD's will burn out soon.

I have a kenwood unit. I just added a garmin nav setup to it (nuvi-like touchscreen interface). I can easily bypass the safety features (So i can input destinations while the parking brake is off). I can watch DVD videos right on the screen (not while driving, of course). Also, i bought an ipod cable for it. Just plug the ipod in, and you can access ALL of the features on it. You have a movie on the ipod? well, you can instantly watch it on the screen of the kenwood. So, assuming you pair it up with a 160gb ipod, you get a 160gb hard drive full of all your music and videos. Heck, buy as many ipods as you want, and you'll have unlimited storage! If the ipod dies, replace it! It's really amazing, and the whole setup, including an ipod, probably cost me less than a mygig WITH 3rd party software.

As far as my gigs and video go, ripping video to the mygig HD is really not a great idea. A DVD can have as much as 7gb of info on it. Why would you want to use that much drive space??? If you want video clips and stuff, just buy some DVD editing software. then you can make your own videos!
Old 02-18-2008, 01:59 PM
JK Newbie

I just picked up an 08 Rubi Unlimited. It didn't come with the MyGig system, and I want to add it. I noticed that there seems to be Nav and Non-Nav versions available on ebay, and the non-nav one is the only one that Mr.CD1 claims will work in the Wrangler.

I'm guessing that's not true, but I want to be sure before I pull the trigger on one.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZippySLC
I just picked up an 08 Rubi Unlimited. It didn't come with the MyGig system, and I want to add it. I noticed that there seems to be Nav and Non-Nav versions available on ebay, and the non-nav one is the only one that Mr.CD1 claims will work in the Wrangler.

I'm guessing that's not true, but I want to be sure before I pull the trigger on one.
NAV versions work... there are plenty of Wranglers with it. Now are the ones that they sell on E-bay different? possibly. I've read some of them are even from Europe and will work but can not have the firmware updated.

You can buy aftermarket stereos for less money that do more and look 100% stock. They fill the whole where the MyGig sits without any install kits... they look perfect. Everytime I drive there is one reason or another why I feel I should have got an aftermarket unit over the MyGig. I'm not saying it's a bad unit, it's just not worth the money in comparison to what you can buy for the same price. I'm not someone who doesn't have it and just wants to justify why I didn't get it. I DID get it and I am admitting that it is my opinion that I should have gotten something else. On my 08 with a manual trans I had to spend money and time to get it working the way I was told it should...then to get the U-connect working...more time and money....you want a rear veiw camera...the unit can do it...but wait...more time and money...etc,etc,etc...
Old 02-18-2008, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

I didn't know there were any aftermarket stereos that fit the opening perfectly. All of the 3rd party nav systems I've seen are double din and it looks like the JK's opening is a din and a half. I could be wrong though.

I'm not sure which way I want to go. If I went aftermarket it would be harder for me to be able to park somewhere with the top down.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i also thought about upgrading, however with the stock speakers and such you will maybe be better off getting an aftermarket system head. a Pioneer D3 that i have had my eye on is going down in price and has hook ups available for iPod, Nav, Bluetooth, USB, and satellite, but the unit itself has DVD and CD with a front AUX port and outputs on the back. it will fit in the JK nearly perfectly however a small kit will make it fit flush, some pics on the forum around here and there and looks great it's what i'm thinkin' about getting this spring
Old 02-18-2008, 06:49 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ZippySLC
I didn't know there were any aftermarket stereos that fit the opening perfectly. All of the 3rd party nav systems I've seen are double din and it looks like the JK's opening is a din and a half. I could be wrong though.

I'm not sure which way I want to go. If I went aftermarket it would be harder for me to be able to park somewhere with the top down.
The JK's head unit is about Double Din. You need to fill in some space around a standard aftermarket double din, and some people have had to file a little plastic off above and below their double din unit to make it open properly.

You could always do retractable single din if you're really afraid of being robbed.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine replaced the MyGig in his Dodge Magnum with a Pioneer... It looked perfect from outside I thought it was the MyGig when I glanced in. After he told me it was the Pioneer I looked more closely and it looked great and did EVERYTHING.

Quick Reply: Should I get Mygig?