Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Shims

Old 12-09-2015, 02:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shims

Trying to adjust my new Truklights. The instructions say, since we cannot adjust horizontally, to place shims in the headlight bucket. I don't know how to do this. Has anyone done it? What did you use for shims? How is it done? All help will be greatly appreciated. Even more so with pics. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The interwebs suggest to pick up some factory adjustment screws and that'll fix it. A Google search on adjusting trucklites will turn up a part number.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Not sure if this is the case with all years, but this fellow said his was adjustable horizontally.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...stment-291257/
Old 12-09-2015, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

55078114aa, times two. I bought a set of TL from Marcus @ RCO and the two screws there will be ordered from the dealer when the lights come in.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
55078114aa, times two. I bought a set of TL from Marcus @ RCO and the two screws there will be ordered from the dealer when the lights come in.
Yeah, I'll pile on with this post. I also purchased a set of TLs from Marcus at RiverCity Offroad. Prompt shipment and on the rare occasion that I've needed customer support, he's all over it.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:51 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the help. Members here are the greatest.

Last edited by nighttrain777; 12-10-2015 at 06:00 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Pick up the above screws from your Jeep dealer. When you pull your old headlights, you will see the adjustable screws, and the horizontal ones that are not adjustable. You can reach in with an open end wrench and work the non adjustable screw our of its place. It's kind of a pain, but only takes a few minutes. The whole plastic adjusting ring will come out and the non adjustable screw will stay in it when removed. They are held in place by a socket, ball arrangement that it can rotate in. You have to pull out the non adjustable screw and just replace it with the adjustable one. Word of caution, it is in pretty tight and a few guys have reported breaking the ring trying to remove it. I just ran mine under hot water for a minute to soften the plastic a little, and they came out easy.

When I first got my Trucklites in, I was disappointed with the X beams and the pattern in general. I just drove around some lonely roads with my Torx driver and would stop once in a while to make an adjustment. After getting them dialed in, I couldn't be happier. Recent elk hunting trip, and my brother in law was behind me in his LJ. He said he couldn't believe how much light I was throwing compared to his stockers. He remarked I was lighting up the whole mountain side as we chugged up the "two tracks" in the dark. I was thinking about a light bar, but after the Trucklites, I'm pretty happy with negotiating the boonies at night. Good luck!
Old 12-10-2015, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Rtillery- can you get a baseline measurement off of your horizontal alignment screws? We can then start ours there and adjust from that point. Did you adjust your vertical as well?
Old 12-12-2015, 02:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Rtillery- can you get a baseline measurement off of your horizontal alignment screws? We can then start ours there and adjust from that point. Did you adjust your vertical as well?
Sorry I am out of town at the Performance Racing show in Indy. Just pull up close to a wall, mark your beams, back away 20 or 30 ft and adjust to same. Then drive around with your Torx Screw driver and do a final adjust. You'll get them perfect. It really is no big deal.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not to hijack but does anyone know where to find the adjuster ring? The little plastic prongs broke and on of my lights will point almost straight down after hitting a bump.

Quick Reply: Shims