Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Selectable Battery/Accessory Power Source

Old 08-04-2011, 12:25 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Selectable Battery/Accessory Power Source

On my 2008 JK, there are two power outlets on the bottom of the center stack.
The left outlet is #1, fuse #M6, wired to Accessory power.
The outlet on the right is #3, fuse #M36, always powered.
I noticed in the TIPM fuse box, there is a fuse #M7, for outlet #2, selectively powered by the battery and accessory circuits.
I also noticed my JK does not have outlet #2, but the 20 amp fuse is in place, in the 2 position socket.
Here is a picture of Fuse M7's location, and a close-up of where to position the fuse for accessory power and battery power.

The center pin socket for M7 goes to pin #12 in the TIPM connector C6, shown in the next picture.

The dealer didn't have a wire with the proper terminal to fit in TIPM wire harness connector C6, so I went to a junk yard, found a late model Jeep, (might have been a Patriot), and pulled a 12 AWG wire, with the correct terminal end. For the 20 amp fuse, I wouldn't use a wire smaller than 16 AWG, to be on the safe side.
Here is a picture of the terminal end. It has to be exactly like this, or it won't work.

Once I got the wire home, it was a matter of about 20 minutes to install it in location #12 of TIPM connector C6 wire harness.
The first thing I did was disconnect the battery negative terminal.

If you want a built in selectable battery/accessory power source, protected by a 20 amp fuse, consider taking advantage of the unused M7 fuse in your TIPM. Don't do this if you are not comfortable raising the TIPM, and unplugging the connector.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats pretty cool Ron. How do you find the time to come up with all this.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:18 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Thats pretty cool Ron. How do you find the time to come up with all this.
I don't know. Things like this are done over several weeks sometimes, when there are small lulls between things I have to do. That wire sat on the bench for quite a while after I acquired it on the way to work on something else.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:25 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another awesome thread by ronjenx!!!! thank you!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great write up. I just used it to install my airhorn. I did it on a 2011 and there were a few changes I had to make. The M7 selectable is already in use on mine so I switched to the position directly to the right of the #12 in your photo. Then I added a 10amp fuze to the M9 position to the left of the M7(for seat heater) and ran a accessory only line for the horn.

Thanks for the write up!!
Old 07-31-2014, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found that the terminal needed is made by Lear #1326030-8. I found it in the kent-moore terminal kit J-38125, Tray 17. Your local dealership should have it. I work at a GM store and we had it in our kit.
Old 08-29-2020, 03:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pin out chart

Great write up. I followed it to install a rear 12v receptacle in my 08 JKU.
​​​​​​I got a C6 plug for 15.00 plus shipping from MAK's TIPM rebuilders. The pig tail were long enough to work with and I have lots of pins for future use.
I have two questions:
Where did you find a pin out chart to know pin 12 was what was needed? I'd like to know in case I plan to expand and add an additional circuit this way.
I ran my wire to the rear through the firewall up high right then down the right side of the dash then followed the harness to the cargo area. I'm somewhat happy with it but think there is a better way to get through the firewall. How would you have done it?
The following users liked this post:
mynameisjeff (11-23-2023)
Old 08-29-2020, 05:45 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Damien Ristaino
Great write up. I followed it to install a rear 12v receptacle in my 08 JKU.
​​​​​​I got a C6 plug for 15.00 plus shipping from MAK's TIPM rebuilders. The pig tail were long enough to work with and I have lots of pins for future use.
I have two questions:
Where did you find a pin out chart to know pin 12 was what was needed? I'd like to know in case I plan to expand and add an additional circuit this way.
I ran my wire to the rear through the firewall up high right then down the right side of the dash then followed the harness to the cargo area. I'm somewhat happy with it but think there is a better way to get through the firewall. How would you have done it?
The pin-out chart is in the electrical diagrams of the JK service manual. AllDataDIY is a good way to have access to the service manual at a very reasonable price.
I have passed wires through the firewall at the upper passenger's side corner under the cowl, and also through other wire bundle holes at lower locations on the firewall.

I did the same wire additions to make use of the two heated seat fuses. Search my threads to find that write-up.

Quick Reply: Selectable Battery/Accessory Power Source